cam belt change how 2

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
jodydid

cam belt change how 2

Post by jodydid »

hi have tried to search is there a how to guide to change the cambelt on a rev 3 n/a

many thanks

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Re: cam belt change how 2

Post by MRturboTom »

Not on here there's not a guide.

Its not a job for the inexperienced.

But its basically,
Set the engine timing to tdc,
Remove engine mount and cam belt covers.
Remove aux belts and bottom pulley.
Remove tensioner.
Remove belt.

Replace guides and ideally water pump.
Refit belt.
Compress and pin tensioner.
Refit tensioner.
Check timing.
Refit everything else reversal of removal

Brief but hope it helps
Last edited by MRturboTom on 09/01/14 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

This looks OK. Google -- or the Big Green Book -- should produce others.

Topic author
jodydid

Post by jodydid »

thanks for that looks not too bad to do i will give it a go i did an alfa gtv twin spark one outside on the drive that has one cambelt one aux belt and two balance shafts the mr2 should be easy ;)

Topic author
ElvisRockVinyl

Post by ElvisRockVinyl »

I did mine 3 years ago on rev 2 3SGE, it's an easy enough job when you look at it but it's access that really holds you up more than anything, also the engine mount is a pig to get out while engines in place.

I hope you can get the crank bolt off to, my mr2 was the toughest one I've come up against in 20 years of car repairs I busted 3 snapon breaker bars doing mine I thought I had another honda on my hands when I couldn't get it off :confused1: , in the end I got me a IR heavy duty air impact gun, took it straight off no messing, now i would be lost with out my air tools :)

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

ElvisRockVinyl wrote:I did mine 3 years ago on rev 2 3SGE, it's an easy enough job when you look at it but it's access that really holds you up more than anything, also the engine mount is a pig to get out while engines in place.

I hope you can get the crank bolt off to, my mr2 was the toughest one I've come up against in 20 years of car repairs I busted 3 snapon breaker bars doing mine I thought I had another honda on my hands when I couldn't get it off :confused1: , in the end I got me a IR heavy duty air impact gun, took it straight off no messing, now i would be lost with out my air tools :)
I cracked 3 sockets on my old 3sge.
People thread lock them and over tighten them and there's no need.

Dasher_gt's car is the only one that's beat me after doing many an mr2 belt.
Turned out to be liquid metalled in place had to be drilled and tapped.

Never needed a puller either.

The guide in the link doesn't say to turn the engine over a few times to check the timing as its a must
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”