Dropped small part into ACIS chamber ;(

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Dariunas

Dropped small part into ACIS chamber ;(

Post by Dariunas »

Hey all,

So... my balls up of the week involved trying to remove the bolts for the intake as pictured here

All started when I wanted to clean up the throttle body and IACV, so with the air box and bits all off, thought I'd paint the intake cover bits using Neil Ross's guide here to remove them.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=163

So I'm at Step 8 and decide that I may have a better chance with a drill with hex fitting. Pop on the 6mm male hex bit and... it doesn't work. Ok... lift up the drill and the bit falls out instantly, jumping down the first available chamber! :facepalm:

Now I'm stuck. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined and not quite sure what to do. Tried a magnetic pick-up tool, but I knew that was wishful thinking given the fall and curve down there... though it didn't sound like it travelled too far...?

Any ideas/helps?

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Dropped small part into ACIS chamber ;(

Post by shinny »

If the magnetic tool doesn't pick it up then it's time to remove the manifold I'm afraid :no:

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by chaos19810 »

shinny wrote:If the magnetic tool doesn't pick it up then it's time to remove the manifold I'm afraid :no:
Have you took the plugs out and used a magnetic tool to check in there? Not sure if it can make it that far? But worth a try
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

Topic author
Dariunas

Post by Dariunas »

shinny wrote:If the magnetic tool doesn't pick it up then it's time to remove the manifold I'm afraid :no:
Balls, I was afraid of that. Oh well; dragged into mechanics 101 kicking and screaming lol

Topic author
Dariunas

Post by Dariunas »

chaos19810 wrote:
Have you took the plugs out and used a magnetic tool to check in there? Not sure if it can make it that far? But worth a try
Ah... always worth a go :)

Cheers guys

jon.sole
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by jon.sole »

Vacuum cleaner with a smaller hose attached/taped on the end. Stick the hose down the runner the bit fell down and hope it sucks it up :-)

SegaAges
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by SegaAges »

Dariunas wrote:
Balls, I was afraid of that. Oh well; dragged into mechanics 101 kicking and screaming lol
aww mate I've been there, when I was 18 and had my first car i was setting the spark plugs and I dropped a feeler gauge down inside the spark plug well, getting it out it dropped right though the hole and I could see it sitting on top of the piston, me and dad tried for hours getting that out as it wasn't proper metal gauges so magnets couldn't be used and it;s the only time dads ever publicly called me a 24 carrot gold bellend! :laughing, head had to come off in the end :rolleyes:

it's always a good idea to blank any holes leading into the engine with kitchen towel, I've cleaned the ACIS on mine and made sure they were stuffed before I worked in it

I have super strong magnets here that will pull anything out if you want one, they are small enough to get down there, you could do with one of those telescopic things with magnets on the end and bend it to the shape of the inlet pipe with one of my magnets on the end it as the magnets on theses tools are "censored".

Another good one is to get half a meter of garden hose pipe and tape it up to the hoover and then drop that down the inlet system this had worked for me in the past.

Topic author
pinkisthenewblue

Post by pinkisthenewblue »

If it makes you feel any better, this is the outcome of dropping a washer down the throttle body.

Interesting, when I put it back together I learnt from my mistake and put tissue in the the throttle body to stop anything from falling in. I forgot to remove it. It was spitting out Andrex for the next 30 miles :)
Attachments
image.jpg

Topic author
Dariunas

Post by Dariunas »

Cheers fella, that's very kind of you. I'm glad to say, I managed to get this out yesterday! Your one sounded like a real pain lol < (definitely wouldn't be lolling if this happened to me)

Lesson learned :) I'll definitely be plugging everything the next time I do anything like this. It's nice to know I'm not the only one flexing the numpty moves heheh

I got the Laser 0593 Hex Bit which allowed me to get out the 3 hex bolts very easily using a 3/8" ratchet. Real nice.

The type of magnetic too I had didn't work, (Neilsen telescopic 16lbs one). But once I got the top (and the butterfly valves) out of the way, my cheapo magnetic pick-up/claw tool (under £2 from eBay) arrived along with the hex bits - being flexible it actually reached right down to the plugs. After about 5/6 goes it managed to find the bit which came out along with a big sigh of relief. But yeah, the magnet strength on these isn't exactly the stuff of legends :/

Hoover was a great shout and would definitely have been the next port of call; am sure it would have worked.

Topic author
Dariunas

Post by Dariunas »

pinkisthenewblue wrote:If it makes you feel any better, this is the outcome of dropping a washer down the throttle body.

Interesting, when I put it back together I learnt from my mistake and put tissue in the the throttle body to stop anything from falling in. I forgot to remove it. It was spitting out Andrex for the next 30 miles :)
Heheh! that does make me feel better though also cautious; pretty much have disassembled everything from the airbox to the inlet now so will be going over everything with a fine-toothed combed when I put it all back together... am realising it's very easy to forget a tiny thing or let something slip and it disappears out of reach very quickly and you're left looking something like :shocked:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”