Easily unsettled rear!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
mrstead63
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Easily unsettled rear!

Post by mrstead63 »

Hello.

I've recently bought my first MR2 2002 Mk3 & just had new Toyo Proxies put on it. 205/50/15's on the front & 225/50/15's on the rear. Standard rims. Tyre pressure at 33psi front & 31psi rear.

Trouble is, when I lift off mid corner it feels like the rear is trying to come round. I understand the mechanics of lift off oversteer. Thing is, it does it at fairly low speed corners. A normally 50mph corner taken at 30 will produce the sensation if the throttle if lifted.

Any ideas? Or is this normal? Any comments would be appreciated.

Oh, & by the way. Apart from the above. I love it. :yh:

jim55

Re: Easily unsettled rear!

Post by jim55 »

its prob the sidewall of the toyos flexing and giving u that letting go feeling ,i get it as well apparently toyos are really good as u can feel what theyr doing but when it comes to getting new tyres il NOT b buying them again :no:

Topic author
mrstead63

Post by mrstead63 »

Thanks Jim for the quick response.

I have Toyo's on my scoob, all be it they're 45's & I find them exceptional
with very little flex.

I haven't over done the rears with them being 225's on standard rims do you think?

kentsmudger

Easily unsettled rear!

Post by kentsmudger »

I should start by dropping the front pressure and raise the rears a bit to see how that feels as a starting point. Standard pressures are 28 front 32 rear ((edit - Should read 26 front - 32 rear)) for stock tyres, I run 26 front and 34 rear.

Also the Toyos take a while to wear-in, up to 200 miles to feel really secure.
Last edited by kentsmudger on 19/03/09 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

GWrinkle

Easily unsettled rear!

Post by GWrinkle »

Why would you want to lift off on a corner though, thats asking for trouble. Sounds to me like its handling like it should, ie mid engine /rwd. Agree with tyre pressures, higher pressure on rears, lower on front.
Last edited by GWrinkle on 15/03/09 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

mrstead63 wrote:Hello.

I've recently bought my first MR2 2002 Mk3 & just had new Toyo Proxies put on it. 205/50/15's on the front & 225/50/15's on the rear. Standard rims. Tyre pressure at 33psi front & 31psi rear.

Trouble is, when I lift off mid corner it feels like the rear is trying to come round. I understand the mechanics of lift off oversteer. Thing is, it does it at fairly low speed corners. A normally 50mph corner taken at 30 will produce the sensation if the throttle if lifted.

Any ideas? Or is this normal? Any comments would be appreciated.

Oh, & by the way. Apart from the above. I love it. :yh:
Firstly don't get in the habit of lifting off mid corner, you shouldn't do it in any car let alone a mid engined one. Its far more likely to catch you out.

then get the tracking looked at and the tyre pressures. Toyos have soft walls at the best of times and with a 50 profile it will be alot more noticeable.

Topic author
mrstead63

Post by mrstead63 »

Ok. Thank guys.

Gwrinkle & TubbyTwo, "Why would you want to lift off mid corner". "Don't get into the habit of lifting off mid corner"

I know what you mean. Did it once in the scoob & nearly s^%* myself. But I was traveling on a bit.
But picture this - Tootling round the country side at 30mph. Enter right hander & there's a horse in the road with a person who can only just control there bladder, let alone 500kg's of pure French fodder, on it's back. :eeek: You lift off & brake gently in a controlled manner. The rear feels like it's going to step out. Girl friend hits you 'cause she's just put clean draws on. :cry: Not right.

If I was hooking it I would understand it. But at such low speeds it just seems dangerous.

I'll try playing with the tyre pressures & give them more time to bed in.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

TubbyTwo

Easily unsettled rear!

Post by TubbyTwo »

does seem odd it reacts that badly at such a low speed.

wadeski

Easily unsettled rear!

Post by wadeski »

I would get the tracking checked sharpish -

noiseboy

Easily unsettled rear!

Post by noiseboy »

you have your psi round the wrong way, rears should always be higher on the rear with MR2's

Ste2

Post by Ste2 »

noiseboy wrote:you have your psi round the wrong way, rears should always be higher on the rear with MR2's
what he said

also - not sure if toyos are directional or not but if they are check ther are on 'the right way'

tyre fitters tend not to be mensa candidates

noiseboy

Post by noiseboy »

Ste2 wrote:
noiseboy wrote:you have your psi round the wrong way, rears should always be higher on the rear with MR2's
what he said

also - not sure if toyos are directional or not but if they are check ther are on 'the right way'

tyre fitters tend not to be mensa candidates

yes toyo's are directional

Topic author
mrstead63

Post by mrstead63 »

Thanks for all your help.

I'll get the tyre pressures right & have the tracking checked also.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm going to put new discs on her all round so, while its up in the air, I'll check all the ties & bars underneath. Also tighten the hand brake up. You nearly put your fist through the rear window before it bites. :-o:

MichaelJapp

Easily unsettled rear!

Post by MichaelJapp »

Are the rear brakes binding by any chance ?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”