engine (coolant) drain plug location?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
fingers99

engine (coolant) drain plug location?

Post by fingers99 »

I'm going to try and flush the rad and replace the coolant before the cold snap sets in next week. :sad:

So, where's the engine coolant drain plug? I know it's on the block somewhere, but which side and whereabouts?

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Re: engine (coolant) drain plug location?

Post by MRturboTom »

Theres a drain plug on each ally pipe to the rad under the car closer to the engine end.
There's a drain plug on the thermostat housing also but I'd probably take the pipe off instead
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

MRturboTom wrote:Theres a drain plug on each ally pipe to the rad under the car closer to the engine end.
There's a drain plug on the thermostat housing also but I'd probably take the pipe off instead
+1
I tend to drain from the rad and then use a hose in the pressure cap access to flush the pipes until clear water appears. then undo the heater matrix bleed and do the same.
Saves lying under the car and messing with undertrays etc- if you have access to ramps then I would drain from the pipes as well.
Use concentrated Halfords advanced which then allows for clean water left in the system after flush. Then top up with a 50:50 mix and bleed. Usually done this way after RAD change so have access to both rad pipes which makes flushing easier
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Thanks.

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gazza1286 »

The engine block drain plug 14mm is on the rear facing side of the block.

See this guide (there is a photo showing the location of the bolt)

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/serv ... flush1.htm

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Wow, that is a good guide! Thanks! Won't be using Evans, though!

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gazza1286 »

If the lower covers haven't been off for a while you will probably snap a few bolts. Built time into your day to drill and re-tap the brackets. If planning on leaving that to another day you will need some cable ties to resecure the covers.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Well, a recurring bate of alternatoritis has pretty much put that on the back burner. The good news is that I discovered that the n/a Rev1 has a pretty near new radiator (I just pulled off the top radiator mounts to paint and discovered that) so I can just swap that out. In the meantime, I've emptied a little water with the mityvac and popped in some of Bluecol's universal anti freeze.

Let's just hope the alternator on the n/a car is worth pulling out -- it's a job I hate doing. Was looking forward to doing some welding this weekend, too.........

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”