Fixing seat-harnesses to rear firewall..?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
KeischiiFan

Fixing seat-harnesses to rear firewall..?

Post by KeischiiFan »

Hi y'all,
I've got some fibreglass shell seats which I'm covering with Alcantara, and fitting to the standard seat-runners - so far I've pulled the passenger-seat and the seat-belt. The obvious mounts for the 'lap' portion of 3 and 4-point harnesses are the lower seat-belt mounts, about where you pelvis is when seated.
Yesterday I removed the coat-h00k clips and those VERY beefy screws that hold them down - curiously there is a hole alongside - IF there were TWO of these close together, I could screw down a bracket, weld it for g00d-measure, snap-h00k my harnesses on, and it would be Job-Done - BUT there is only one of these screws per side, dammit.

I have no real knowledge of what sits close to the bulkhead, in the engine-bay - It seems to have a metal-panel heat-shield in place, with some sort of firepr00f-cladding behind that...

Question - has anyone drilled through the cabin bulkhead, to fit the standard-issue harness-securing eye-bolts? (such as this here...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Race-Harness- ... 417540ac85

They are usually screwed through a plate with a captive nut on board, (AS PER BELOW) through a bulkhead and into a similar captive-nut plate on the other side? Is anything going to be in the way? Ideally these would be fitted BELOW shoulder height. What are better options for me, if any?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-FIA-Approv ... 5654d24b09

Many thanks for reading and any wisedom you have.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Fixing seat-harnesses to rear firewall..?

Post by vinp182 »

That's pretty much how the mr2 championship cars are done dude :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Wll, thanks for that, g00d to know I'm barking up the right tree for a change. Just to clarify though, may I drill through that bulkhead behind the seats, or am I going to hit something fuel-tanky or equally vunerable, would you know? To get the bolt-plates fitted inside the engine-bay, A I definitely going to need to remove the metal heat-shield? Is that easy or fiddly, would you say?
Thanks again.

Topic author
KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Hi y'all again,

I turned the problem around, and drilled small pilot-holes from inside the engine-bay thru the bulkhead, and then enlarged them - carefully! - so they will now take a harness eye-bolt (it's gonna have to have a 2" shank on it, to engage on a securing plate inside the cabin, pass thru the firewall, and wind well into another securing plate in the engine bay). It COULD be easy to enthusiastically drill through and damage something - I'm glad I didn't.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”