Heater problems

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Gr1NcH
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Heater problems

Post by Gr1NcH »

MkII REV1 91

Problem: I get hot air when I switch heater to circulate but when I change to direct intake from outside I get little or no hot air.
I'm not loosing any coolant at all.
I've bled the heater and rad as per the recommended way.
My temp gauge normally sits at 9 o'clock with steady driving. If I give it a bit the temp gauge drops to just below the water marks on the gauge.

Would this be down to thermostat or/and coolant temp sensor.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Regs Geoff.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Heater problems

Post by peteV6R5 »

Gr1NcH wrote:MkII REV1 91

Problem: I get hot air when I switch heater to circulate but when I change to direct intake from outside I get little or no hot air.
I'm not loosing any coolant at all.
I've bled the heater and rad as per the recommended way.
My temp gauge normally sits at 9 o'clock with steady driving. If I give it a bit the temp gauge drops to just below the water marks on the gauge.

Would this be down to thermostat or/and coolant temp sensor.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Regs Geoff.
Geoff,
For me your coolant is low. the sensor will not work if air is passing it. this coupled with fluctuating temp gauge and fluctuating temp from the heater does indicate low coolant to me.

If you are going to do a full check out then as a matter of course I would change out the stat (cheap as chips and if original 23 years old).

my temp gauge stays at 09.00 if I am tootling or giving it the beans - not even a flicker.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”