HELP - Recommendations on where to buy body kit needed

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
mattp

Post by mattp »

I need some advise and recommendations on where to buy body kit and styling for my MK2 ideally from the UK.

Parts I'm interested in are:

Tom's rear bumper
Tom's side skirts
Spec A front lip as supplied by Shine Auto Projects (link below) or similar
http://www.shineautoproject.com/portfol ... ero-items/

Has anybody had any joy from suppliers in the UK for any of the above. I know Rogue offer the skirts but not Tom's rear bumper, has anybody bought the skirts, any good?
I Know Shine do the lip and skirts but the shipping scares me due to distance and damage potential, any thoughts/experience/quality?

The rear bumper seems the hard part to find - can anybody point me in the right direction.

Just as a side thought Im after a Burke rear exhaust, I know JTS Chris sells them, but wincing slightly at the price, anybody got one they are thinking of selling?

Thanks

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: HELP - Recommendations on where to buy body kit needed

Post by vinp182 »

You might get the lip from carben fibre creations :th:

Off Rogue sell the skirts that just leaves the bumper which you might find in the classified section on here or imoc.. Or maybe on flebay
Cars suck donkey balls

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

There's a rear toms bumper with a diffuser on eBay.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
mattp

Post by mattp »

vinp182 wrote:You might get the lip from carben fibre creations :th:

Off Rogue sell the skirts that just leaves the bumper which you might find in the classified section on here or imoc.. Or maybe on flebay
Carben Fibre Creations do a lip alright, anyone got any opion on it anyone bought one/any good as with Rogue skirts anyone had any experience?

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming

Topic author
mattp

Post by mattp »

Im sure there must be loads of you guys running a Toms rear and side skirts...where did you get yours from or where would you recommend...love to hear your experiences and recommendations and who to avoid....I'm kinda worried about ebay I have to say or should I not be? :confused1:

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Well the places that did the good body kits are no longer around and also Tom's got their legal team out and started sending cease and desist letters to a lot of ones who copied their kit.

Anyway had a quick look on ebay and found these.
Side skirts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-SW ... 1054236270

Rear Bumper:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-19 ... 1278429291

Rear Bumper with Diffuser: (This one supposedly had perfect fitment when made by StaffsMR2Kits)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-SW ... 1054236372

With ebay it's a toss up between good and bad fit but every single body kit I've ever seen has needed a bit of fettling and adjustment to fit, fibreglass is by nature a fickle material which bends, warps and breaks.
I waited a long time to find the body kit I wanted, couldn't find it anywhere for 5 years or so and then 2 came up at the same time.

Also no point in trying to do stuff cheap, it will only cost you the same amount in labour.

Hope that helps
Red
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

My personal opinion... no where! These cars look great with standard bodywork :clapping:

I'll get my coat...

peteV6R5
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

shinny wrote:My personal opinion... no where! These cars look great with standard bodywork :clapping:

I'll get my coat...
I don't disagree with you at all Mark that they look good as standard - but I did go with a TOM's kit.
Brought off eBAY in 2009. The fit was not good so needed a lot of alterations by Mark (Rover76).
The major alterations were to the skirts - the rear bumper also needs some further work as the stresses of driving have put a small crack in on the corner by the lights.(not on the initial fit and pictures).
my project thread page 5 shows you some of the issues and fixes
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/113035.html?start=56
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

TBH the Tom's kit is pretty nice as MR2 kits go and works with the aeroware front lip nicely as the OP plans to fit.

Sent from my Flux Capacitor using Mr Fusion Home Energy Reactor

Topic author
mattp

Post by mattp »

Cheers for the advise guys appreciate it..Like you Shinny I do like the stock look but also think the Toms rear and skirts or even G-type skirts with an Aeroware style lip compliments the shape very well without looking rice.

I understand that all kits need some work but would just like to minimise this as much as poss with something close..Ive seen some that look like they were designed for a completely different car.

Thanks for the links Red, Ive seen these also, somehow firbreglass panels in a the hands of a courier puts a shiver down my spine, and they say unwrap and check before signing.... :clapping: most couriers I deal with would go into a melt down if that was tried. I will seriously consider it though.

I was looking at Rogues skirts as I have heard good things....anyone with first hand experience of them??

Thank for the replies people appreciate it :th:

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

shinny wrote:My personal opinion... no where! These cars look great with standard bodywork
I'm inclined to agree -- and then, a bodykit needs something to back it up.

Must admit that I'm considering a vented frunk (with a ducted rad, I add rapidly) but, then, I'm well known for my Stratos fetish...........

Topic author
mattp

Post by mattp »

Has anyone heard of Neos Designs? cant find anything on the web but have seen a nice looking toms bumper by this manufacturer, maybe no longer trading???

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Neos was good stuff but there was an issue and ceased trading...
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Pablo Bighair
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Pablo Bighair »

Neos designs are defunct! Have been for a few years due to problems with production & supply and people out of pocket :(

There is what appears to be a good toms bumper with diffuser on eBay! I did contact a buyer of one of these and they said the fit was excellent!

I would have bought one of those but got a toms style bumper off another member cheap ;)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”