How much fuel left?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Steevio

How much fuel left?

Post by Steevio »

Hi Guys, i've had a search but can't seem to find a concrete answer so here goes :-

How much fuel left (in gallons or Litres) when the light comes on in a 1992 Rev 2 Tubby? I read somewhere about 9litres which seems alot (2 gallons) but i guess due to not gettin many to the gallon it could be about right?

Cheers all

Topic author
Pav677

Re: How much fuel left?

Post by Pav677 »

Best idea is soon as the light comes on, fill it up. I can't imagine there being much in there plus you don't want to be sucking crap from the bottom of the tank.

Topic author
Toms-MR2

Post by Toms-MR2 »

I'd not even let it get to the point of the light coming on myself

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Even the handbook has nothing to say except the advice not to let the tank get below 1/4 full.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Um, why don't you find out the answer yourself? We find the fuel needle behaves a bit differently on each car so there's no reason the fuel level light is consistent between different cars either. Anyway, the mkII has a 55L tank, so drive until the light first comes on, then brim the tank and subtract the number of litres you put in from 55.

However it's a fairly useless number to know, because you can't guarantee the last few litres can actually be picked up by the fuel pump. So if you determine you have 9 litre remaining, you might find only half of that is actually usable.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

When I came back from Scotland in April. my light came on just as I came off the M40 so with 6 miles to go the the nearest Shell station I was comfortably within limits.
Brimmed the tank and it took 46 liters, so 9 liters is the reserve.

How far would I take it after the light comes on?-----30 miles in mine - 1 gallon or 4.5 liters.
Why - as Mr Shin states above you may not get all of the rest out as it moves around the tank.
would not like to get caught out - had that happen many years ago on a bike and vowed never again.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

I've had 25 miles out of the Auto with the light on, some say 40+. Does your light even work? My fuel gauge/sender is sticky as hell on the soon to be turbo, sometimes I get 200 from half a tank, sometimes 100, and once it tried to break the stop stick on the gauge from going so low after 230 miles with still no light on!

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Toyota have to be ultra conservative about such issues because they don't want risk having to field complaints from numpty owners who have managed to run out of fuel.

I have owned 4 Mk2s. In all of them the fuel light initially has faded in and out under braking and acceleration. When the light starts to remain constantly illuminated there is approximately 9-10 litres left. This is easily enough for 40 miles provided you drive sensibly (no boosting or harsh braking and acceleration). A couple of times I have done well over that: most recently 65 miles last month because all of the motorway services I passed after the light came on were either Esso or BP and I wanted to stick to V-Power.

There were 3 litres left (55l tank minus 52l rebrim) and I had no issues with crud in the injectors either at the time or subsequently. I have done over 500 miles since then and the car hasn't missed a beat.

I'm not suggesting you take it that far, and YMMV. However, when that light comes on, in the words of Cpl Jones

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!

ETA. For those tubby owners who want to stick to V-Power, Shell have a filling station locator on their web site. If I'm doing any long journeys to places I don't know I check it out first, so that I can plan where to fill up if/when needed. I also make a note for future reference of every one I happen to pass when out and about even if I don't actually need to use it. It has proved very useful at times, especially when finding the one I intended to stop at was shut!
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

I just don't understand all this "crud in the bottom of the tank" thing.

Surely the fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank?? What would be the value of having any tank below it?
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

In my red2 when the light came on I had 10 litres left luckily which got me to the next shell station in my new purple 2 when the red light came on I was 7 miles from the shell station (so I thought I was ok) and in less than a mile I ground to a halt :blush: and had to call the RAC

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

_Al_ wrote:I just don't understand all this "crud in the bottom of the tank" thing.

Surely the fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank?? What would be the value of having any tank below it?
+1 :clapping:

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

_Al_ wrote:I just don't understand all this "crud in the bottom of the tank" thing.

Crud floats on the surface, especially water due to condensation in the tank due to being low on fuel and stood. :)

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Howlin_Mad wrote:

Crud floats on the surface, especially water due to condensation in the tank due to being low on fuel and stood. :)

HM

Now that makes sense!
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
Toms-MR2

Post by Toms-MR2 »

TonyleFrog wrote:For those tubby owners who want to stick to V-Power, Shell have a filling station locator on their web site.
The app is actually really helpful in planning routes and seeing where you can fill up.
Being mapped to V-Power means I generally keep mine brimmed as often as possible, don't see the point in risking running out.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”