Idle/rev/odd problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
macey10j

Idle/rev/odd problem

Post by macey10j »

Hi guys, had the mr2 back on the road for about a month now, has been doing pretty well by me, but got this problem which is very embarrassing and annoying.

Basically, its more when its cold, and its got worse the more i've left it (as always)
When driving, I now often get an engine light, car will usually continue at the speed im at keeping that I leave the right foot exactly where it is, if i let off its a little lumpy coming down, if i try to accelerate it will bog down really badly.
Also it will sometimes not idle or idle very very low (around 400-500 and can stall often)
Occasionally it will decide to idle at about 2700, and this lasts for ages, is very very embarrassing due to how much attention it attracts.. Also it struggles to start (ish) when cold, but after being properly warm for a fair amount of time it seems to be A-ok!.
Please help :'(

Topic author
laze

Re: Idle/rev/odd problem

Post by laze »

Have you checked for a fault code?
"How to read ECU fault codes"

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Which model and revision do you have?
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
macey10j

Post by macey10j »

Hi, I'll try and get the codes this morning, and its a Rev2 Turbo

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

Hmm based on the symptoms it could be a number of things to do with the Coil pack, Dizzy cap, plugs or cracked ht leads, damp in any of these components will give you serious running issues especially a crack in the coil pack "which is quite a common fault on these cars" and see's as you only get it in the morning then might be a good idea to have it look at it.

High idle may well be idle valve or a small vac leak

Topic author
macey10j

Post by macey10j »

I got the code 2-2, that was the only one, I doubt its rotor arm dizzy cap or ht leads because they are all pretty new, will have an inspection. Idle control valve was also recently changed as I thought mine must have been faulty, so don't think its that.

Topic author
laze

Post by laze »

If you've read it correctly, that's 22, which is a water temp sensor or circuit related. I think there are a couple of water temp sensors, one of which tells the ECU to enrich the A/F mixture while the engine is warming up. This may explain your cold start and idle issues.

Remember, there may be more than one thing wrong.

Topic author
macey10j

Post by macey10j »

It sounds like it made sense, and im pretty sure I read it right, it was the only code, and I sat there and confirmed it about 5-6 times. I know my thermostat needs changing and I already have a new one, as when it has just about got to normal temp if I put my foot down the coolant temp gauge can drop to nothing. Will get my friend Mechanical Steve to have a look.

Topic author
laze

Post by laze »

Make sure you come back and let us know what the problem was and how you resolved it.

Topic author
littlemisstubby

Post by littlemisstubby »

ECU temp sensor (green sensor on water outlet) £15 from Camskill. 5 minute job. Just needs a little coolant topup afterwards. Job done. ;)

Oh and check the wiring connector too for corrosion. ;)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”