Lowering, and taking the caliper off

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
mr2turbodave

Lowering, and taking the caliper off

Post by mr2turbodave »

Evening all, was just having a look through the KY2 at the "Fitting Coilovers" article to refresh myself (as I assume this is the same process for shocks/springs removal/refitting. In that article, the chap who done it took his disc and caliper off compluetely, and took the brake line off the caliper and everything.

Now I know its late (1.30am) but am I missing something? Why did he take the caliper off? Surely the brake hose can just unclip from the shock and hang lose until you fit the new shock/coilover and then clip it back in?

I'm not just being picky/moaney, I'll be doing this soon and if I dont have to remove and then bleed the brakes afterwards I'll be immensely happy. To me it looks like it could be done without doing this.

Dave

Topic author
fingers99

Re: Lowering, and taking the caliper off

Post by fingers99 »

Thing is, and for reasons that are unknown, Toyota decided that the clip should only be used to locate the hose, rather than to fix it in position, so, once you remove the clip there's no slot to pop the hose through.

Sooner or later, everyone cuts a slot there, but Mr T wasn't thinking very clearly that day.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

fingers99 wrote:Thing is, and for reasons that are unknown, Toyota decided that the clip should only be used to locate the hose, rather than to fix it in position, so, once you remove the clip there's no slot to pop the hose through.

Sooner or later, everyone cuts a slot there, but Mr T wasn't thinking very clearly that day.
+1 you dont need to take the line off.
As above, take the clip off, then cut a slot in the end to remove the line through.
Just be careful and dont nick the line like I did once (my 3rd time changed suspension units) on someone else 2.
That was an interesting Sunday dash to Ady at MR2Bitz :blush:
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

trevsmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by trevsmr2 »

As above ,just cut a slot in the bracket to get the brake line out

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Suspe ... trut-1.HTM

Topic author
sykesMr2

Post by sykesMr2 »

did mine a week or so ago just like they said above i used a hacksaw and cut through the bracket but as i was worried about nicking the brake lines i only cut half way the used an adjustable wrench to grip and snap the metal to make a gap once the struts were off the car i filed any sharp bits down then painted the exposed metal to prevent rust

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

I got slated for cutting the slots on imoc :confused1:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... hlight=cut
Last edited by madbasshunter on 30/09/13 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Nothing wrong with a bit of 'modification' to make life easier.

I usually remove the clip and free the brake line. Then I put a big (old) screw driver between the brake line and the front of the bracket for protection. This allows a swift bit of angle grinding to cut out a sufficient amount of metal to remove the brake line without having to bend up the bracket.

I'm not a fan of the single hacksaw cut and bend the bracket out of the way as it is more difficult to bend back correctly and enable the clip to be refitted.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

madbasshunter wrote:I got slated for cutting the slots on imoc :confused1:
It's one of those "only do it Toyota's way" responses.

Many cars use nothing more than the tension of a rubber grommet to retain brake hoses, and annealing copper washers (and even copper head gaskets!) by heating and quenching in either dilute sulphuric acid or Coca Cola is very common engineering practice. Sure, replace with new if the customer is paying (and add the old ones to your collection), but really........ :facepalm:

Topic author
mr2turbodave

Post by mr2turbodave »

Sorry for the delayed reply, I read your responses a couple of days ago but forgot to reply, then got a bit busy and forgot about the thread. Suspension is coming in a week or so so I'm glad you lot have said the right things.

I didnt realise there wasnt a slot, that does seem rather short sighted of Toyota though, lol. I have a dremel and a small cut-off wheel so i'll just use that to slice through the bracket. I take it the same clip that I take off can still be put back once there is a gap cut into the bracket? I dont need to use special aftermarket ones or ones from a different car or anything?

Thanks all, Dave.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Yes, use the old clip, coke and a blowtorch for the copper gaskets -- just bright cherry red and drop straight into the coke. They should come out nice and soft and clean. (Obviously, if they look damaged, get new ones).

If you're still running rubber flexi hoses, the use of a proper brake pipe clamp will save a lot of fluid (and time).

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

mr2turbodave wrote:Sorry for the delayed reply, I read your responses a couple of days ago but forgot to reply, then got a bit busy and forgot about the thread. Suspension is coming in a week or so so I'm glad you lot have said the right things.

I didnt realise there wasnt a slot, that does seem rather short sighted of Toyota though, lol. I have a dremel and a small cut-off wheel so i'll just use that to slice through the bracket. I take it the same clip that I take off can still be put back once there is a gap cut into the bracket? I dont need to use special aftermarket ones or ones from a different car or anything?

Thanks all, Dave.
same clip can be used on the new units - same clips from my old units on my BC's :th:
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
mr2turbodave

Post by mr2turbodave »

fingers99 wrote:Yes, use the old clip, coke and a blowtorch for the copper gaskets -- just bright cherry red and drop straight into the coke. They should come out nice and soft and clean. (Obviously, if they look damaged, get new ones).

If you're still running rubber flexi hoses, the use of a proper brake pipe clamp will save a lot of fluid (and time).
I'm not following you at all mate, sorry. Gaskets for what? And why would I lose any fluid if im not taking the brake lines off?

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by chaos19810 »

I introduced Al to the delights if grinding when we worked in his suspension
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

mr2turbodave wrote:
fingers99 wrote:Yes, use the old clip, coke and a blowtorch for the copper gaskets -- just bright cherry red and drop straight into the coke. They should come out nice and soft and clean. (Obviously, if they look damaged, get new ones).

I'm not following you at all mate, sorry. Gaskets for what? And why would I lose any fluid if im not taking the brake lines off?
The gaskets for the hose banjos. But, yeah, I was assuming you were taking them off.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”