MBC install.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Pav677

MBC install.

Post by Pav677 »

So my MBC and vacuum pipe turned up yesterday.... Got the MBC from GTSChris and vac from eBay.

I was thinking about writing a detailed step by step 'how to' with pictures because when I was looking into it the info was hard to find without starting a tread. The info that's about maybe easy for a lot of people to understand but for the likes of me that are at the beginning of turbo knowledge, a detailed and car specific guide would be helpful.

Any thoughts?

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Re: MBC install.

Post by MRturboTom »

Go ahead.
Don't forget to keep the vac lines length to a minimum.
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

MRturboTom wrote:Go ahead.
Don't forget to keep the vac lines length to a minimum.

That's good to know, I was thinking about mounting the MBC toward the top of the bay so that was a help, thanks.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I've seen them mounted cockpit side of the engine bulkhead. May make for easier twiddling.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

there are tons of threads on the subject??

2seconds in google reveals this

http://www.twosrus.com/Articles/Install ... ctions.PDF
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

jimGTS wrote:there are tons of threads on the subject??

2seconds in google reveals this

http://www.twosrus.com/Articles/Install ... ctions.PDF
I know there's is lots of info about it but as stated in my original post, there's nothing detailing step by step making it easy for people who don't really have a clue. It's taken me a while to fully understand what to do because there are so many that say it a different way which is confusing.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

how many other ways can you say take off this pipe, that pipe, cut/bolt this pipe and T in a mbc? :D

take lots of pics along the way, and obviously have the car running 100% the way its ment to before writing a how to.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

jimGTS wrote:how many other ways can you say take off this pipe, that pipe, cut/bolt this pipe and T in a mbc? :D

take lots of pics along the way, and obviously have the car running 100% the way its ment to before writing a how to.
This is my point, it sounds simple to you but for the likes of me, not so much :laughing

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

I'm not going to list a step by step as you need to be familier with the principals of the operation of a turbo before doing the conversion and also be aware that by increasing the boost you are getting rid of the factory over fueling which is effectivly the safty margin that Toyota builds in to cool the engine and allow for decreased fuel supply over time.

1. As pointed out the tubing needs to be as short as possible and ideally have a large internal diameter. I mounted the MBC to the TRD strut brace on a custom bracket held to the brace by stainless clamps.

2. The best way to stop the air from being released from the VSV valve is to cut the control wire at the ECU rather than physically have to block the tube to the VSV. Wire the ends to a 2 way connector and wire a short to the other side of the second connector and keep this in your tool kit along with a short bit of pipe to bypass the MBC. The advantage of an MBC is you can return it to stock boost in under 5 minutes to troubleshoot if you have to.Its the Blue wire with the orange stripe on a Rev 2 that controls the VSV.

3. Fit a wideband AFR to enable you to gradually increase the boost so you do not run lean. Really you do not want anything leaner than 13.5:1 WOT. An aftermarket boost gauge is a WASTE OF TIME for actually knowing whats going on in the combustion chamber. It will quite happily be showing you plenty of boost right up until your engine goes bang.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

An aftermarket boost gauge is a WASTE OF TIME for actually knowing whats going on in the combustion chamber. It will quite happily be showing you plenty of boost right up until your engine goes bang.
Indeed. But then, it's just a dumb boost gauge, nothing more, nothing less. Although a wideband AFR will greatly increase the cost of the installation, it's pretty much the only thing between you and a lunched engine.

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

I'm not planning on running daft boost pressure but up a little, maybe just 0.2 bar.

Thanks for the advice, don't think I'll be cutting any wires though, it will be easy enough to remove the MBC and reconnect the tvsv anyway.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Well, OK. Problem is, everyone gets greedy.................

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

Not me, I'm not willing to take risks. I will only start pushing it when it's safer too, as said about AFR, oil gauges and such like. I can't afford to got blowing engines and what not. I got a bit annoyed couple days ago when I got done by a spaceship shaped Civic type R although I did slightly miss 3rd :blush:

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Watch out for the new 3.2 Audis (the old ones are not a problem) and the 3.5 turbo diesel Mercs...........

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”