Pothole damage :-( cracked rim, need advise...

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Bone

Pothole damage :-( cracked rim, need advise...

Post by Bone »

Hit a pothole today at 35mph and this happened...

Can I make a claim? Has anyone made a claim before?
I need to get some new wheels and want some Rota D1's staggered in charcoal 17", where's the best place to get them? Any help will be great cheers.

Has anyone got a wheel or 2 I can borrow till my new ones arrive? I'll order on Tuesday. Its my only car!

Toby.

badgerbob
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Re: Pothole damage :-( cracked rim, need advise...

Post by badgerbob »

you done the right thing taking pics like you have, get in touch with your local council and get them to cover your costs, iv known several people who had the same thing happen, all the tax money you pay will be coming back to you :th:

Topic author
LukaHarris

Post by LukaHarris »

i see something bout this on the telly, that you can claim from the council all you need is pictures with measurments L/W/H/D, witnesses if you can and then write them a letter and so on.

btw that must of been a massive shock! i would also check under your car for damage lol. hope you get it sorted :th: :th:

Topic author
Flay2010

Post by Flay2010 »

Thats shocking mate im making a claim at the moment against Edinburgh council as i hit a pothole and now theres banging up the front end when i go over a normal bump, write an email to your council they will send you out a claim form you took pics unlike me so your case is strong but dont let them get away with it. havent you got a spacsaver

Topic author
Bone

Post by Bone »

Flay2010 wrote:Thats shocking mate im making a claim at the moment against Edinburgh council as i hit a pothole and now theres banging up the front end when i go over a normal bump, write an email to your council they will send you out a claim form you took pics unlike me so your case is strong but dont let them get away with it. havent you got a spacsaver
Yeah space savers on but i dont feel safe driving it like that really.

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

there was a feature on pot hole damage on 5th gear a while back so check youtube and if you can find it get some good advice
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Topic author
Bone

Post by Bone »

oddshoes wrote:there was a feature on pot hole damage on 5th gear a while back so check youtube and if you can find it get some good advice
Cheers mate good idea, just watched it.

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

Apparently to claim it must be 4" deep - which is monumental!

Had a rear shock die on my BMW thanks to the moon-like landscape of West Berkshire's roads but none are big enough to claim on.

Topic author
Mr Blue

Post by Mr Blue »

You got to make sure the holle is 4inc or they wont do a thing mate :ranting1:

Topic author
Bone

Post by Bone »

Fifth gear said it's 4cm mate.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

I don't think it's down to the depth for a claim to be rejected. They have a get out clause in Section 58 of the Highways act. But you can apply for the information regarding the piece of road in question to prevent them from just saying "the road was regularly maintained".

See here:

http://www.potholes.co.uk/claims/step_by_step_guide

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Joey
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Joey »

As HM said if they can prove the road is regularly inspected you're out of luck. Few years back i hit a pothole and bent the 2 drivers side rims, by the time i went back with a camera a few days later and took photos they'd repaired it, but i stuck the claim in anyway and they paid up. I then hit a huge bloody crater with the 2 passenger side rims some weeks later, front alloy was that badly bent it was hitting the track rod end. I got photos thing was 6 inch deep and about 2 foot long, no brainer you'd think they're bound to pay out....nope they didn't pay up 'as the road is regularly inspected'

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Moved to wheels and tyres section :th:

Topic author
colsmr2

Post by colsmr2 »

sorry to say this but i dont think you will win, looking at the pic it looks as if there was a repair before, just infront of the hole, so it might be being maintained as already mentioned

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”