Rear Brake dust/ splash shield

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Dannyboy91

Rear Brake dust/ splash shield

Post by Dannyboy91 »

Hi everyone,

I recently moved from UK to Austria with my MR2 and Im trying to get it registered here, which means a pretty in depth inspection of the car.
Already they have come back and said a few parts need to be replaced due to rust and for the most part Ive found everything.

The one thing I'm really struggling to find is the rear brake splash guards.
I found some in Canada but the international shipping cost is a bit steep ($10,000,000 CAD)
They have been discontinued by Toyota (surprisingly for a 29 year old car)
And MR2-BEN doesn't have them.
MR-MR2 has them on eBay but there's a hole rusted through on the pictures, and that's exactly why I need to replace mine.

Does anyone know where I can pick some up, if they can easily be made (by a professional) or if there are alternatives that work?

The garage that I am using for the registration process have been useless so far and when I suggested removing the brake shields and sending them out to any local manufacturer, they just shrugged and said they didnt know who.

Any help you can give would be hugely appreciated because I am really struggling.

Danny

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Rear Brake dust/ splash shield

Post by jimi »

Most people just remove them completely for a couple of reasons
They are difficult to get now.
If you can get them they are expensive
They are a pain to remove/refit and your liable to damage rubber boots etc in the process.
However that may not be an option with the Austrian inspection (Pickerl ?) in the UK it's not a problem if they are not there for the MOT. Have you researched if removal is a problem in Austria ?

Have you tried TCB Parts ? http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ they appear to have them
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Dannyboy91

Post by Dannyboy91 »

jimi wrote: 01/06/23 16:51 Have you researched if removal is a problem in Austria ?

Have you tried TCB Parts ? http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ they appear to have them
Hi Jimi,
Thankyou so much for researching this for me.
I hadn't heard of this site before but I will definitely keep them in mind for future reference.

Unfortunately I have been told that in Austria it is required, so I have to get them replaced.
Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!
Hopefully they have stock and I can get everything shipped out and out onto the amazing alpine roads :)

BYRNEY1984
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

Mr2 ben used to have some but as you have tried he no longer does. You need to remove the wheel bearing when changing them too. Surely they can just be repaired with a bit of gentle TIG welding. Otherwise you’ll have to source some complete hubs with some good condition dust shields.

Topic author
Dannyboy91

Post by Dannyboy91 »

jimi wrote: 01/06/23 16:51 Have you tried TCB Parts ? http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ they appear to have them
No luck, I just called them and they said they don't have any and the website isn't up to date (Something to do with being unable to edit their stock lists through their software)

Back to the drawing board

BYRNEY1984

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

While I remember if you can find just one side for sale. You can fit them to both sides. You have turn the shield upside down when fitting it on the wrong side. It might sound daft but it fits perfectly.

Topic author
Dannyboy91

Post by Dannyboy91 »

BYRNEY1984 wrote: 02/06/23 10:34 While I remember if you can find just one side for sale. You can fit them to both sides. You have turn the shield upside down when fitting it on the wrong side. It might sound daft but it fits perfectly.
Hi Byrney,

That works for the 47881-17040 but I checked with Toyota and there it says I can only fit the side specific ones for my car (47881-17050 R and 47882-1750 L)
Plus I cant find stock of any of the numbers.

I asked the garage Im using about removing them for repair or fabrication and all I got back was "I dont know who/ how and it will be expensive"

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

It may be possible to adapt the MK1 or MK3 ones to fit if you can find them, can't see them being that different as the braking systems on all 3 MK's are very very similar. I doubt you will find MK1 shields, but MK3 ones may be still available ? Would at least be a starting point, also may be possible to adapt shield from another car to fit ? either way it would be easier/cheaper than trying to get replacements made from scratch.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

BYRNEY1984

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

Toyota will say each side is handed but they do fit and don’t foul the disc. I only know because when I rebuilt the body in my v6 turbo I had all the suspension powder coated and was going to do the hubs as well. But didn’t know if I could get new dust shields. Mr2ben is down the road from me and he told me he had fitted many left hand rears on the right side for various customers.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Danny,
quite search of web, came up with these leads.
https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalo ... r-2-ii-sw2

https://www.autopartspro.co.uk/carparts ... r-2-ii-sw2

hope they can help
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Dannyboy91

Post by Dannyboy91 »

peteV6R5 wrote: 03/06/23 23:18 Danny,
quite search of web, came up with these leads.
https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalo ... r-2-ii-sw2

https://www.autopartspro.co.uk/carparts ... r-2-ii-sw2

hope they can help
Hi Pete,

Thankyou so much for the help!
It looks like they have stock and I placed the order for a left and right rear.
Lets see what arrives.

Return to “MK2”