Replacing Front struts

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
steve c

Replacing Front struts

Post by steve c »

Not had the car long but a bit of sods law, found a damp patch underneath the o/s front wheel. Close look revealed a leaking front strut. These things happen any time any place so decided to change top mounts, struts, springs and dust covers. Haven't found any bump stops yet online but might see the condition of the old ones when off the car.

Looks a reasonably straightforward job, unlike the mk1 TT I run as a daily driver (the struts slide into a female housing in the hub and a pita to pull out) The Mr2's are bolted to the hub-good news.

When all the parts arrive I'll set to and post a picture of the finished article

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: Replacing Front struts

Post by _Al_ »

If memory serves (!) it’s not a difficult job. Bit I had the most trouble with was getting the brake pipe retaining clips out… rusted solid and that was back in 2009 ish.

Good luck!
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
steve c

Post by steve c »

Thanks for the advise. Yes, probably the biggest challenge working on brakes/suspension etc on older vehicles is shifting rusted and previously untouched fixings.

I've found on previous cars, sometimes factory fixings' torque/tightness are 'tight as f**k' Recently replaced the rear brake pads on brother in law's skoda. Biggest problem was loosening the caliper bolts. With a power bar I failed. 16 stone brother in law had to use his full force to 'crack' them.

I've got a couple of cans of 'professional' penetrating oil, similar to plus gas. Usually give anything I work on a spray before starting any work.

JRD93

Post by JRD93 »

It's attached in 3 places, the top 4 bolts for front and 3 for back. 2 attaching it to the hub and then 1 bolt attaching to the anti roll bar links.

Top bolts will come off easily. Hub bolts are put on at like 150-190nm so a breaker bar would be needed. Funnily enough the hardest one is the anti roll bar link, it's a hex key in the middle to stop it rotating and then a hex to loosen the nut. I had to cut my anti roll bar links so expect that.

Once you have the struts off you'll need a spring compressor and an air gun to take the top nut off, you can try a socket on the top nut but it will spin the strut and not loosen. Some may have to vice grip the strut, use a towel if you don't want to damage it. Once the spring and top hat is off, you have the strut nut I guess you call it. A vice and pipe wrench was needed for mine, by far the hardest I've had to work to remove something off the car.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

This thread has been really useful. I was about to offer to help someone with theirs and now I’m seriously questioning my wisdom! :laughing
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
steve c

Post by steve c »

Thanks JRD93 and jimi. All great info'!

_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

jimi wrote: 07/12/22 15:28 Know Your 2

;)
Hang on a moment. I think we have a mis-mk-ing issue….
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Yes, Poohbears article is on the MK2, but both all 3 MK's use a similar MacPherson setup front & back so the principle is the same. ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

JRD93

Post by JRD93 »

No problem. Taken a full set of struts off a scrap car so I could convert a set to coilovers, I ran into all the problems trying to get them off.

Forgot to mention previously that you can buy the covers and bump stops from MR2 Ben and a few others places, if you just want the bump stops I'm not sure where to get them individually and you should be able to re-use the old ones.

Topic author
steve c

Post by steve c »

Thanks for the advise JRD93. Yes I thought I might be able to re-use the old bump stops.

I looked again on ebay for some earlier today and this time MR2 Ben actually came up as a cover/stop set. I decided to order them (the covers I previously ordered are from abroad and noticed that may not arrive until 10th jan)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”