Super Red 3E5 and Super Red 2

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SegaAges
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 1

Super Red 3E5 and Super Red 2

Post by SegaAges »

Hi guys

I've just bought a rev 2 turbo in red but got some paint bubbles on the spoiler and what to get some paint mixed up, now here comes the problem, the car was resprayed before I had it and the original owner didn't have a clue what colour it was sprayed to all he said was "red" :facepalm: which is no help, now i've been into halfords and they have 2 super reds on the shelf which are super red 3e5 and super red 2, i bought them both in the hope that one would match and sure enough the car looks like it's super red 2 as super red 3e5 looks a lot more orange looking.

So ok i want to spray the spoiler with my compressor and while looking on line for someone to mix me a tin most places are putting super red 2 3e5 so what i need to know is are both super reds called 3E5?

N52

Re: Super Red 3E5 and Super Red 2

Post by N52 »

Best bet is to take the car to a local place that mixes paint and they will be able to take a sample colour from the car and mix some paint to the exact colour.

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

Check this:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/e ... d/MR91.png

Rev2s are normally super red III (3J6). (Or Crimson Red)
Rev3+ are normally super red II (3e5).

The paint code for the chassis is in the frunk, on a little plate facing towards the spare wheel.

cabbydave

Post by cabbydave »

3e5 is super red 2 but there are so many different shades it sounds like you need the blue shade

Topic author
SegaAges

Post by SegaAges »

Yea 3E5 is an orange looking colour which is what's the under side of the bonnet and engine lid are, so that's what colour the car was originally, also crimson red is way to dark almost cherry red.

Unfortunately I have no one half decent around my way that can mix paints, so I've had a word with Paul up at Jewel Paints and sent him my petrol flap so they can mix one, think that's the only way of knowing for sure as I really don't want to respray the whole car
Last edited by SegaAges on 10/09/13 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

N52

Post by N52 »

yep, always the quickest way when it's been resprayed with no documentation to colour.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

SegaAges wrote:Unfortunately I have no one half decent around my way that can mix paints, so I've had a word with Paul up at Jewel Paints and sent him my petrol flap so they can mix one, think that's the only way of knowing for sure as I really don't want to respray the whole car
That's the only way when you're not going the whole hog. This explains why. The article is written for the US market but the basic principles are the same.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
SegaAges

Post by SegaAges »

TonyleFrog wrote:
SegaAges wrote:Unfortunately I have no one half decent around my way that can mix paints, so I've had a word with Paul up at Jewel Paints and sent him my petrol flap so they can mix one, think that's the only way of knowing for sure as I really don't want to respray the whole car
That's the only way when you're not going the whole hog. This explains why. The article is written for the US market but the basic principles are the same.
That is a very good article, cheers for the post, I should think my car was reprayed as soon as it came in the country in 2003, I have to say it's not the best paint job I've ever seen it's shinny enough but some parts of the car where they have sanded to the mettle you can see the metal through the red paint so obviously no primer was used :facepalm: must of been done on the cheap.

Looking at my new beast last night I think if Jewel Paints can't get a reasonable match then Ill blow the whole car in ferrari red

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”