Which spark plugs for a rev 3 turbo?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2-Sean

Which spark plugs for a rev 3 turbo?

Post by MR2-Sean »

Hi planning on doing a service to my rev 3 turbo and wondered what spark plugs I need my current mods are greddy smic blitz nur spec exhaust boost controller and blitz induction kit I understand there is different heat rating for plugs ? Also would anyone recommend a good oil to use ? I'm not sure if its old oil causing my car to give off black smoke when planting my foot does any advice welcome many thanks

Topic author
fingers99

Re: Which spark plugs for a rev 3 turbo?

Post by fingers99 »

Oil smoke is generally blue. Won't have anything to do with the age of the oil.

My guess is that it's overfuelling for some reason (that's what generally causes black smoke). Do get it looked at -- overfuelling can cause significant oil contamination and generally does nothing good.

For plugs, see here. 7s should be fine.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Most likly the seals on the turbo are on the way out. Oil builds up in the intake when your just cruising due to the vac in the intake and then hitting boost just blasts the oil through. Ran mine like this for years however the excess oil deposits a strange buildup on the spark plugs.

Stay with the stock Platinum or Iridium 6 range plugs unless you have upped the boost significantly then go for a 7

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Ngk iridium grade 6 or 7s but I'd fit 7s personally.
£30 delivered from jp4mance iirc
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
MR2-Sean

Post by MR2-Sean »

Hi guys thanks for the reply very helpful as always plugs are ordered I went for 7's ,
How can I sort the over fueling ?

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

First make sure it is! Ideally an AFR guage (or a 3 gas meter) at a rolling road. If it is oil getting past the turbo seals (or anything else, for that matter) it should be pretty obvious from the smell on a RR.

If it is overfuelling, the "why" is a more complex question. I'm a long way from understanding the Mk2 ECU!

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

they do overfuel on boost as standard....
upping boost doesnt seem to lean alot out (it has more fuel than the ct20b can throw at it)

saying that, you really shouldnt be seeing alot of smoke, i cant notice any on mine (though im sure there must be some high in the revs)

check this afr plot even at 285hp (not mine), pretty much matchs what im seeing on my wideband gauge.

......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

No smoke from mine, either, although the pipes show a fair bit of soot (must clean the car, must clean the car.........).

Topic author
MR2-Sean

Post by MR2-Sean »

Thanks for your help guys i think ill ask Ryan at 2bar to have a look when I get round to getting an apexi fc :D

toxo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by toxo »

That bloody dyno plot gets everywhere! lol

The pink line is the rev3 ECU

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”