MR2 Mk3 SMT

Welcome to the club, come and say hello

Topic author
AndrewK

MR2 Mk3 SMT

Post by AndrewK »

AndrewK. New to MR2's. Bought the 2004 car 'cos I loved the gear change. Having researched the SMT gear shift mechanism I just hope it keeps working. Replaced suspension and in process of getting all the wheels pointing in the same direction. Almost lost the will to live removing the front bearing hubs to replace the disc shields. Car a bit battle scarred but it is ULEZ compliant so I am happy.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: MR2 Mk3 SMT

Post by jimi »

Hi welcome to the club

:postpics:

From what I've heard keeping the SMT fluid level correct is pretty important, although this isn't mentioned in the service schedules as it's "sealed for life "
I suspect that a fluid change wouldn't be a bad thing, although SMT fluid isn't cheap :no:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
AndrewK

Post by AndrewK »

Changed SMT fluid and everything was fine. Did a few miles no problem. Have been working on suspension. Today wanted to go for a run and the car would not start. Gear shift display completely blank and obviously no neutral light. SMT pump ran and could hear SMT mechanism shift when selecting neutral. Any ideas please.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Any error codes/warning lights ? have you checked for blown fuses ?

Topic author
AndrewK

Post by AndrewK »

Thanks for reply. No blown fuses and no error light. The gear display is blank and the neutral light is out. The car will shift into reverse with the reversing lights on but no alarm or light on the dash it will also shift into 1st. Probably won't get round to checking for error codes until after Christmas now. Checked that the car had shifted into gear by attempting to push it. Since the last time it ran OK all that has been done was to roll it backwards and forwards a few times to get the steering centred. No tinkering anywhere round the gear change mechanism.

Topic author
AndrewK

Post by AndrewK »

Only error code logged P0863

Topic author
AndrewK

Post by AndrewK »

Just noticed that immobiliser blinking light does not go off when ignition is on. This I presume would stop the engine cranking but would it cause the gear indicator to blank out?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

P0863 is a CANbus error. This sounds remarkably similar to your problem https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/p0863-code.150341/

Topic author
AndrewK

Post by AndrewK »

Thanks for reply. Having followed link does not look like it will be running by Christmas!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”