Mr2 Steering issues

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.

Topic author
Robert Playford

Mr2 Steering issues

Post by Robert Playford »

Hi all,

I have a steering issue with my MR2 MK3 and would really appreciate some advice on what it causing it and how to get parts and fix it!

When i steer to the right, the steering feels normal to a point and then suddenly i have to use much more force to steer further. Once the wheel has gone past this point, it will not return to centre on its own and i have to rotate it back manually. The same goes for steering to the left but its not quite as bad. I have taken it to a garage to be looked at and they concluded that the car needs a steering rack replacement. The mencahic mentioned that the power steering fluid level was good and he couldnt see any leakages.

Is it best to replace the whole rack and is it dangerous to drive it as is?

I have had a look around on the web for rhd steering racks for the mr2 and couldnt really find much. Ebay had the most on offer but i dont really trust it!

I will check this post daily for the next week or so to reply to any messages.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Mr2 Steering issues

Post by jimi »

Definitely sounds like a damaged rack ( possibly bent) probably easiest/cheaper to replace it, I'd be extremely wary of driving it like that, in fact other than getting it to a garage/mechanic I wouldn't drive it.
For a used replacement try Dick Sloan @ MR2 Roadster Recycling he's usually reliable, details here https://mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/special ... liers.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Robert Playford

Thanks for the reply 👍 i have found a video on youtube that shows my issue better than my description. However, the resistance in my car is significantly les sthan what is shown in this video.

Link here: https://youtu.be/Ii9fYFc6A_c?si=CoZP_bVVw7TR0hWy

Im just a little confused as i wouldnt expect a 65,000 mile mr2 to need a new rack? Any ideas on what would cause this damage? I booked a quick power steering check at halfords today for a fiver and they found that one of the universal ball joints was corroded. Could it just be this that needs replacing rather than the whole steering rack?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Is that a track rod end you are referring to (i.e. connected to the hub and rack) or the bottom arm ball joint ?
Either way it certainly could be be a bad ball joint, the only way to tell would be to split the ball joint from the rack and see if the problem goes away, if your going that far you be as well replacing the joint.
As for the rack, if it's faulty then it's not necessarily down to normal wear & tear, many things could cause rack damage, hitting the kerb or potholes are two things that spring to mind 😉
Also a bad/damaged front suspension strut could give similar symptoms which would also go away if splitting the track rod end from the hub.
Edit
Did some investigating turns out that on the MK3 the lower universal joint on the steering column can cause problems, seemingly they are prone to rusting, if it's that one you mean then try sprayng it with a lubricant (WD40?) and see if the steering improves, if it does a replacement should sort it out.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Robert Playford

I have checked the report from halfords and it is the "Steering universal joint (that is) very corroded" which matches up nicely with your research! I will try the wd-40 test in the near future and then go ahead with this repair. Thank you for your advice jimi, it is much appreciated 👍

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Hi

Most common steering problem in the Roadster is the lower steering universal joint and then power steering pump.

Probably better to replace but you can lubricate in the first instance perhaps not wd40 though.

Caroline

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Nothing wrong with WD40 as long as you use the right product from their range. ;)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wd-40-white- ... 00ml/46103

Get rid of as much surface rust as possible first though.

Once it's freed up and thoroughly greased, it's well worth fitting a protective gaiter.
I got mine from Snelbaard on MR2ROC. PM him to find out if he still has any kits left.
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=69674.0

If it's too far gone then it will need replacing. I got one for my spares box last year off e-Bay.
A couple of current listings
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154788300896 ... SwnyZh28P5
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124232826163 ... %3A4429486
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Return to “MK3”