Air con gas

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information

Topic author
Geordie
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 1

Air con gas

Post by Geordie »

Hi, I have just rebuilt my air conditioning with new condenser, we filled to 500 as we couldn’t find outhouse much gas it needed, I’m now on holiday in Spain and it’s not as cold as I would like it, can anyone tell me how much gas I should put in, local garage here will do it. Thanks 1990 turbo import.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: Air con gas

Post by jimi »

500 what ? and which gas ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

dansrev2turbo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by dansrev2turbo »

Looks to me like 800g of r134a needed, thats for a LHD anyway, not sure if RHD is the same (assuming you're converting to r134a).

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

1990 turbo would originally have been R12 ( which you can't get now) 850gms +/-50gms. If its been replaced by R134A it will needa similar weight of gas.
A quick way to check the gas is to look at the sight glass on the liquid line, with the compressor running and the condenser fan off, the should be no bubbles visible, if there is a stream of bubbles its low on gas
NOTE: if the condenser fan is running (or has just stopped) you will see bubbles which will die off. Its quite hard to tell if the sight glass is full of empty if there are no bubbles the glass can look empty even when full and vice- versa that's where experience counts.
If you know what your doing you don't have to fill by weight, you can do it by monitoring the hi/lo side pressures. I've worked on many HVAC and refrigeration systems where the fill weight was unknown, so did it by pressures, if there's a sight glass on the liquid line you can utilise that as well.

Any professional refrigeration engineer/technician will be well aware of these things and will get the system working properly even if the fill weight is unknown.
If he can't (these days many vehicle hvac techs are only trained to run the machine, they are not fully qualified HVAC engineers/technicians .... think Kwikfit fitters) find another one who knows what he is doing.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Return to “MR2 Discussion”