Getting tempted to remove the soft top

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
iLogik

Getting tempted to remove the soft top

Post by iLogik »

:D I litrally never take the roof off, due to weather, the ball ache of removing the hardtop, and the car looks 100% better with a hard top. Plus having an import I have aircon. What you guys think?

Should I do it, the Softtop weights roughly the same as the hard top maybe a bit more as far as im aware.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Getting tempted to remove the soft top

Post by d-peg »

Is this because i said i'll run against you next time with Kermit and you're getting a little worried? :laughing :laughing :laughing

Can't imagine it'd be that difficult but not forgetting that extra weight - probably 25-30kgs is giving you better traction off the line. Personally it's probably more of a ball-ache than worth doing. Maybe better ditching the passenger seat and spare at the track...
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

I think I would find a hard top a ball ache. Hence why I probably will never get one.
The fact the soft top takes all of 10 seconds to fold up or down makes having a roadster a no brainer for me. Main reason I bought it was for the roof down driving.

I had a quick read on ROC where someone removed and replaced a soft top. That looks like a ball ache too. :D
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

vanilla.coffee wrote:I think I would find a hard top a ball ache. Hence why I probably will never get one.
The fact the soft top takes all of 10 seconds to fold up or down makes having a roadster a no brainer for me. Main reason I bought it was for the roof down driving.

I had a quick read on ROC where someone removed and replaced a soft top. That looks like a ball ache too. :D
Indeed, could remove it and sell it, put the cash towards for FI cams, get them swapped over then sell my n/a cams.

This year I had the roof down once, and that was to pick up Mark top secret front bumper lol.

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

If you're looking to remove a bit of weight for drag action - surely just take the H-Top off & leave it at home?

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

dgh938peg wrote:If you're looking to remove a bit of weight for drag action - surely just take the H-Top off & leave it at home?
It looks poo though without the hard top :p

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

iLogik wrote:
dgh938peg wrote:If you're looking to remove a bit of weight for drag action - surely just take the H-Top off & leave it at home?
Agreed, yours does look proper bo! BUT do you want to look good or shave a few tenths off your 1/4 time?

EDIT;
Put it this way, if you left the H-Top at home this weekend it may have made the difference between a 14.1 & 13.9 ......

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

dgh938peg wrote:
iLogik wrote:
Agreed, yours does look proper bo! BUT do you want to look good or shave a few tenths off your 1/4 time?

EDIT;
Put it this way, if you left the H-Top at home this weekend it may have made the difference between a 14.1 & 13.9 ......
true :p plus I had a complete picnic in the car and tools.

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

EXACTLY mate! Strip away the unnecessary weight before losing anything "important" if you see what i mean. I fully intend on running in October at Finale if it is dry but will lose the spare, tools, passenger seat. God knows where i'll put it :) or where Jessica will sit LOL!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”