MK3 Performance Chips

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
steveh2402

MK3 Performance Chips

Post by steveh2402 »

I've recently become the proud owner of a 2006 MR2 Roadster and i love it. I've read through a number of the other threads in this forum and have a question for the experts on this site.

Whilst browsing for tuning components, i stumbled across an american webiste (shown below) which claim to be able to provide a chip which can boost the standard MR2 1.8VVTI engine by +45 BHP and improve MPG by a further 15.

Does anyone have any experience of this company and their products and could they confirm whether or not the chip actually works?

At $9.89 with $6.85 postage to UK it all seems to good to be true. If anyone has any info, it would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

http://www.iperformancechips.com/topics ... nce-chips/

Topic author
ZZW30

Re: MK3 Performance Chips

Post by ZZW30 »

Think about it, at $10 don't you think we would all have one instead of spending £500 on a Unichip or Emanage etc etc... there is no way you will get those power gains for that kind of money.. no way.

Browse the forums and read what other members have done to their cars then deceide what you want from yours, just remember that it comes at a price.

Topic author
steveh2402

Post by steveh2402 »

ZZW30 - What components have you got fitted and what sort of gains did you get at what price?

At least this will give me some sort of start point to base my endless hours of browsing from.

Regards,

Steve

Topic author
ZZW30

Post by ZZW30 »

As I said, it depends what you want from your car.. more power?.. better handling?

I have done quite a lot to my car, but one of the early modifications I carried out was fitting a Unichip and exhaust (since removed) which gave an extra 15 or so bhp at a cost of just under £1000 for both (£500 for the unichip installed and mapped)

If your after more power than that then you will need to dig deep.. staying normally aspirated you would be looking at spending 2K (maybe more)to get roughly 170bhp. This topic maybe of interest to you...

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... ead#unread

Personally I have a turbo conversion with intercooler etc etc, total cost was in the region of 7K which included mapping and things like boost controller, dump valve etc etc.. spec list is here...

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde ... em&CID=221

If you are intending to go for around 200bhp then there are a couple of main options, 1 is the turbo convertion and the other is an engine transplant where the 2ZZ-GE engine from the Celica 190/corolla T-Sport is fitted (search for all things 2zz)... don't expect much change from 3 - 4K for either job (baisic turbo install)

Before going for this amount of power it is always better to consider the handling side of things first, no point in the power if the car can't cope with it, more bracing for pre facelift cars, uprated anti-roll bars and droplinks (the best non engine mod I've made) and lowered suspension( just springs would be sufficiant) and a good set of tyres once those things are sorted out the car will be better prepared for more power. Do things in the right order and your modifications will give you more satisfaction along the modding journey.

Topic author
m0jo

Post by m0jo »

+15MPG and +45BHP gains :rofl:

no chance waste of good money imo

Topic author
Mad_Matt

Post by Mad_Matt »

I'm thinking of going for a Unichip and I see K&N do a K57i air filter for the Mk3. It looks like that'll get me around 163bhp or so plus improved mid range torque (I've already got an exhaust upgrade).

This seems in-line with what I got on my Bachetta (in proportion) but in my experience it's best to go for a turbo if you want more............

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”