turbo or v6 route

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
mekon88

Re: turbo or v6 route

Post by mekon88 »

i think that when i kill my engine in a few years i will probably go the V6 route, dont like turbo cars in general....

Topic author
MrTwoBen

Post by MrTwoBen »

I'm planning on a V6 conversion. however i need to drive a turbo and a v6 to really know. was thinking i could get the v6 conversion, then supercharge it further down the line..or maybe even a v6 tubby? which leads me onto my question..is supercharger vs turbo on a v6 the same idea as v6 vs turbo? does the supercharger give smooth power right from the start just like the v6? i know a tubby onto a v6 costs about £4k more than a charger :blink: , so swaying much more to supercharger. just dont know much about superchargers so if someone could explain..? :th:

of course im not in a rush.just dreaming..for now ;)

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

It will depend a lot on budget.

3vz is not a high compression engine.. 9.6:1 (compared to a tubby at 8.5 & N/A at 10.5 (i think))

It lends itself to low blow applications quite well with the HG beaing the weak point. Stock fuelling starts to run lean around 275hp. Would highly recommend getting hold of Rogue Motorsport & buying their MLS gaskets suitable for the 3vz and not too pricey either. Or it's onto Ferriday for Bi- Metal ones which are more expensive.

Turbo Route you will need
- Custom manifolds
- Custom y-pipe to feed the turbo
- Custom downpipe from the turbo (prob £1000 in those 3 bits alone)
- The turbo
- Custom oil feed/return line
- Custom water feed/return lines
- Uprated fuel pump
- Upped injectors
- OEM ECU
- Fuel Pressure Reg
- Intercooler/Chargecooler and piping ... no surprises ... custom :)

Been done a couple of times but can be frightfully expensive and you are limited by the engines compression ratio. Best i have seen to date is an Aussie 1mz running a true twin turbo setup and pumping 540whp. For a solid 350hp look to spend about £5k depending on how much you can do yourself.

For a roots type charger (Eaton type) you will need
- The charger (about £1500-2000 if you can find one.
- Uprated fuel pump

TRD/Eaton did a direct fit supercharger for the 1mz that also fits the 3vz too. based on an M62 it is good for about 275hp in standard engine form but because it cannot be cooled that is about the limit until you look at larger injectors and possible water/meth. To get this to 300hp i would anticipate spending about £5k

For a centrifugal supercharger (Rotrex/Vortech) you will need
- The charger
- Custom oil feed/return line
- Custom water feed/return lines
- Uprated fuel pump
- Upped injectors
- OEM ECU
- Fuel Pressure Reg
- Intercooler/Chargecooler and piping ... no surprises ... custom :)

Aparently there's a nutter on here called d-peg who's fitting the TRD/Vortech V5 supercharger lifted from a USA Toyota Scion Tc TRD car. Now it's not a direct fit and requires custom brackets, fuelling, ECU, intercooling, head flow work and so on. As far as i know i should have it done sometime early next year with a bit of luck. The kit does show promise and could be the right type of blower for the V6 engine in general but is very much a wait and see. It's been over a year in development thus far. For this sort of setup to hopefully make a solid 300hp look to spend around £5000.... ;)

It does depend on how deep your pockets are and how far you want to go. Heads are probably the biggest limiter. Reground cams is an option but you're talking £1000 there. Low Comp pistons is another £2000. ACL race bearings (which i now have) are really nothing short of extortion... £450. :shocked:

As with modifying anything, be prepared to spend, have many sleepless nights, some failures and a few tears to boot :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

If you want power Tubby all the way (Dan can very this lol) V6 for the noise and instant power :th:

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

topgun wrote:If you want power Tubby all the way (Dan can verify this lol) V6 for the noise and instant power :th:
Dan cannot verify this at all. You beat me fair and square on the day Mick but i would hat to tell everyone that a glorified milk float in the shape of a 60s Beetle was still a whole second quicker than you :p

If you want power buy something other than an MR2 ;)

In any case .... i shall be ready for the rematch... just whether i had 50% or 100% more cylinders in an MR2 ;)

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Re-match and first mash up of 2011? :D
Cars suck donkey balls

topgun

Post by topgun »

d-peg wrote:In any case .... i shall be ready for the rematch... just whether i had 50% or 100% more cylinders in an MR2 ;)
just make sure mine is finished first Dan :p ,who knows i may have something up my sleeve for a rematch :laughing :cheeky: ;)

d-peg

turbo or v6 route

Post by d-peg »

topgun wrote:
d-peg wrote:In any case .... i shall be ready for the rematch... just whether i had 50% or 100% more cylinders in an MR2 ;)
just make sure mine is finished first Dan :p ,who knows i may have something up my sleeve for a rematch :laughing :cheeky: ;)
Lol!! A snotty tissue ain't gonna do you much good :laughing

d-peg

turbo or v6 route

Post by d-peg »

vinp182 wrote:Re-match and first mash up of 2011? :D
Indeed - charity rematch methinks! £690 to beat. Get Xmas out the way and I'll set something up :)

topgun

Post by topgun »

d-peg wrote:
vinp182 wrote:Re-match and first mash up of 2011? :D
Indeed - charity rematch methinks! £690 to beat. Get Xmas out the way and I'll set something up :)
i best start shedding a few pounds then :laughing

topgun

Post by topgun »

d-peg wrote:
topgun wrote:
Lol!! A snotty tissue ain't gonna do you much good :laughing
a V12 might though :laughing ;)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”