Who does conversions?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MrTwoBen

Re: Who does conversions?

Post by MrTwoBen »

4VeeSix wrote:The basics of these kinds of swaps are that really if youve got a small toolset, can follow a wiring diagram and read a multimeter then youre 2/3rds the distance there.
The only other equipment you need is a hoist which can be hired if you cant buy it, some space to carry it all out in, the haynes manuals good for the wiring and some common sense and patience.

Look at it this way, youll save yourself a packet on labour charges, no need to transport the car anywhere except to your place of swapover and how much more intimately will you know the vehicle afterwards? The answer-lots.
The answers to any of the problems you might meet are all out there anyways and theres always someone who will take the time to help you out.
Remember, there are no stupid questions only, ones you didnt ask.

So, do the research, consider the problem and go for it i say, youll be all the richer for it afterwards both financially and intellectually.
I'm with you 100% on what you're saying. It's just that the most mechanical task I've ever performed is cleaning out a carb on a motorbike, or fitting my 70cc kit to my old scooter.lol.i just dont feel im the type of person who could carry out a conversion, no matter how much info there is. I am going to read into it however, I'm not writing it off..but i dont have a garage, just a small driveway.and even if i did have a garage/hoist etc.the car would officially be a classic by the time ive finished!:sad:

Topic author
4VeeSix

Re: Who does conversions?

Post by 4VeeSix »

MrTwoBen wrote:
I'm with you 100% on what you're saying. It's just that the most mechanical task I've ever performed is cleaning out a carb on a motorbike, or fitting my 70cc kit to my old scooter.lol.i just dont feel im the type of person who could carry out a conversion, no matter how much info there is. I am going to read into it however, I'm not writing it off..but i dont have a garage, just a small driveway.and even if i did have a garage/hoist etc.the car would officially be a classic by the time ive finished!:sad:
Like all complex things, breaking it down into manageable tasks is what its about.
Sort the mechanical aspects like the engine and gearbox first and get them installed and youre most of the way there.
Fuel lines and exhaust, just another task on its own, nothing stunningly hard.
Wiring is probably where most folk fall down, but it neednt be that hard either.
There are a very limited number of systems that need to be connected to make it all work and again, you go for the easiest ones first like the starter and alternator feeds and earth returns.
Everything else is just the same, identifying the wiring on the car and which systems need to be connected up to make it all work in harmony.

I did my first ever engine conversion out on the drive in all weathers at 16 with virtually no equipment, just a small cantilever box and afew spanners/screwdrivers.
Had to modify the sump to clear an antiroll bar, did that with an arc welder, hadnt got a mig, made the steel backplate to fit the non standard engine out of 1/4 inch plate, drilled to bolt the box and engine together and so on, that was a 2.0litre BL "O" series engine fitted into a marina van (oh the shame of it) replacing the 1.3 A series.

In the end, if you give it a try and get stuck theres help aplenty out there nowadays just do as much research as you can first and get familiar with it. :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”