Engine picked 3vzfe it is, now just questions?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Engine picked 3vzfe it is, now just questions?

Post by chaos19810 »

Hi I've managed to dig around and come up with £1800 and I'd like to change the engine in my rev5 or there is an option to buy another car first the car I'm thinking of buying so if you know the car or have any thoughts on this let me know?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Toyota-M ... 3a8249f770

Now the engine swap I've been quoted 1700 for a complete rear clip from a jap imported rev3 3sgte engine from Nippon spares this I think would be the easiest swap and I could do it in a week if the wiring goes well and have all the joy of a tubby

But there is a little part of me that thinks the way forward is to do v6 with a 3vzfe conversion, I work it out to be around 700 for the engine ( there's on eBay now) then 500 to Paul woods for the wiring and engine mount, 300 in fluids, ignition and timing belt?

The final choice would be what I did last summer pick up a rev2 engine and add a metal hg and ct20 turbo the finally do a rev3 fuelling conversion

Then these all the beers I would need to supply you guys for the help?

Any thoughts either way please let me know
Last edited by chaos19810 on 07/07/13 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Need your advice? Engine options

Post by stuMR2lee »

If you are happy with the condition of your chassis/bodywork then a conversion is a good option. Although insurance may be slightly higher than an original Turbo. Not many Rev5 Turbos about. The V6 idea sounds good.

The one you linked to seems to have a few issues that could be nothing or could turn out to be a can of worms.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

I like sonic shadow colouring of my car plus I've just changed all the exterior panels for better ones including the doors and wings, might try get hold of kelvin and ask how hard was the v6 conversion he did, a rev5 v6 does sound good.
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Sounds like a plan. I think Kelvin had a project thread on Two Brutal.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Save yourself 400 on the V6 conversion and do the wiring yourself. Factor in a new clutch and head gasket kit ( + bolts) too tho
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

vinp182 wrote:Save yourself 400 on the V6 conversion and do the wiring yourself. Factor in a new clutch and head gasket kit ( + bolts) too tho

Errrrrr me and wiring are mortal enemies even with Paul woods guide I find my self dying in wires, the last bit of wiring I did I nearly went and made a petrol bomb and burn it down
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

Where abouts are you. . Maybe someone local can come do the wiring for you. I did my v6 conversion myself including wiring.
And if you are local-ish I don't mind helping out

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

I'm near bury st edmunds, I would love a the sound of a v6, what they like to drive the last fast mr2 I had was a rev1 tubby if that helps with the comparison
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

Power wise the 3vz is on par with the rev 1and rev2 turbo. Rev 3 will be quicker.
U dont get the lag or the sudden punch u get with a turbo but what u do have is instant power roght from the get go.
Early 3vz produce 180bhp with similar torque and later 3vz put out 200bhp with 200lb/ft torque.
But the beauty is all the torque is on tap from 1500 rpm. U dont have to work the gearbox .. I can drive round town in 5th gear at 30mph and all I need to do is push the accelerator . The car launches forward without need of changing down. However I tend to drop gear or 2 just to hear the noise it make.
There is no lag like u get on a turbo but the v6 makes the car so much more drivable than the 3sge.
It becomes a true gt car.
Fuel wise it costs about the same to run as a turbo.
Insurance also similar if not the same.
Fuel economy well if thats what u want then u have the wrong car. But number wise
Round town I get around 28 to 30mpg and motorway u can get 36 or more.

As for performance well last year I chased a mr2 turbo in my v6. The only time the turbo gained half a car length on me was at top of my 3rd gear when I had to change up due to having a n/a gearbox as the turbo has slightly longer 3rd gear. But when I hit 4th we were level again.

I'm in Birmingham so a bit of trek but having said that I am happy to travel and do the wiring ..

Topic author
chaos19810

Think I like the idea of a v6 but many question? Well 10!

Post by chaos19810 »

I'm liking the sound of a v6 (no pun intended) and I'll take any help with the wiring I'll pay fuel for you and your car plus extra beer to take home. There are a few things I'm struggling to get my head around.

1) every forum I've looked at says there are plenty of step by step guides for the engine conversion but I can find one?

2) The fly wheel does it need to be changed, milled or altered?

3) pipe work :w_tf: fluids to the heater and rad?

4) this is the engine I'm looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25129255400 ... 1438.l2648 what else might I need? Exhaust down pipe and cats?

5) Gear linkages? Are they the same? As is the clutch slave cylinder?

6) throttle cable? Same or different?

7) is the n/a clutch fine to use?

8) fuel return line?

9) any questions that I'm not asking that I should be?

There my basic niggles I'm sure there will be more as I go along but this is a start?
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

p5ycho

Re: Engine picked 3vzfe it is, now just questions?

Post by p5ycho »

Get yourself over on twobrutal all the info u need is on the forum.
Join up and read to your hearts content.
We are a helpful bunch and always happy to help out. .

Now gearbox u use from your own car.it mates to the 3vz one mounting whole has to be enlarged and 3 others lime up.
Clutch is bit awkward but not difficult. .
Flywheel u can machine or have machined the mr2 fly to mount on 3vz crank boss..
Clutch friction plate depends on your gearbox. A turbo plate for a turbo box and a uprated n/a plate for n/a box
Gearbox cables all remain original and work. Same goes for throttle cable
One coolant hose has to be re routed byt other and the rad stays same.
Wiring is probably the biggest hurdle but not that bad..
Clutch line u use from mr2
Fuel lines u have to get some new pipe but works with original mr2 system.
Finally exhaust ...
U use the downpipe from the camry and have that modded to mate with your choice of exhaust for the mr2..
1st exhaust I fit on mine was a toyosport but turned out to be too loud. So sold that and put my original n/a backbox on the car. That turned out to be really nice and quiet but a bit on restrictive side. So removed that and fitted a blueflame turbo back box on the car. Sounds just right and not restricted at all .

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

So it doesn't sound that bad in fairness, I will need to investigate the flywheel situation and see what needs to be done and were I can get to do it for me? Just signed on to twoButal so looks like another day doing hard research :clapping:
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

Worst case scenario u can ask paul to get flywheel machined for u .. or send /bring it to Birmingham, I can get ut done for u.

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

Paul Woods will do you a plug & play loom if you ask him :th:

Flywheel needs bolt holes enlarging - or you can buy a Fidanza. It's cheaper to get one modified but not by much, I'd get a Fidanza.

If you're using the N/A box (and theres no reason not to as it easily handles the 3VZ's power) you will need an N/A friction plate and turbo clutch cover. This is because the N/A covers don't have enough clamping force to overcome the V6's torque.

If you get all this sorted, do the conversion yourself + sell the rev5 engine you'll have enough money for a bit of headwork and a decent exhaust w/y-pipe.

Lastly the 3VZ ECU is now moddable and re-mappable, so you can raise the rev limit and the map for more poweeeeer!

It's all on twobrutal so get on there.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”