1991 mr2 3s-fe new pistons

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
ian1966

1991 mr2 3s-fe new pistons

Post by ian1966 »

Hi all, does anyone know where I could get a set of oversized pistons for my 2.0lt 16v 3S-FE MR2 don't need hi performance just standard. Also are the pistons in the 3S-Fe toyota engines all the same i.e in the carina/celica etc?
Thanks,Ian.

Topic author
Pav677

Re: 1991 mr2 s3-fe new pistons

Post by Pav677 »

I can't help with that but I'd be interested to know why you want them? Would it not just be a better idea to put a 3sge engine in?

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

You can get the pistons from Toyota. You will need to know what mark yours are though but you can get .5mm larger pistons for the 3S engines.

I agree with Gaz above though, why not just get a 3SGE engine? They are pennies now and would give you a bit better performance for a lesser cost.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
Toms-MR2

Post by Toms-MR2 »

To be honest you could probably pick up a full 3S-GE engine for the price of a set of pistons for a 3S-FE, and gain 40+bhp in the process.

The only good thing about my old 3S-FE was the fuel economy lol

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: 1991 mr2 3s-fe new pistons

Post by shinny »

Mod: Corrected typo in thread title :th:

Personally I'm with the idea that I wouldn't do any major work to a 3s-fe engine. In fact, if your car needs new pistons, I'd be tempted to buy another 3s-ge NA, swap over any good bits onto the new car and then scrap the old one. However I don't know the full story and why this specific car is worth you saving...

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I know nothing about the n/a engines (except that I have one lying about doing sweet FA). But all cars reach a point where it's cheaper to buy a good s/h engine than replace the pistons. Then -- eventually -- the engines get hard to come by and you have no option (Lancia Fulvia, FIAT Lampredi TC, etc.).

So, might be worthwhile mothballing your old one for the next 15 or 20 years..........

Topic author
ian1966

Post by ian1966 »

Thanks for all the input guys, one question is the 3sge engine a straight drop in or are there complications i.e. wiring loom/ecu etc? I was thinking if I did a complete rebuild of my 3sfe engine at least I would know what I had got.
Cheers,Ian.

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

I'm sure if someone is breaking a rev 3 with the the engine, wiring loom and ecu all sat in one place then you would just replace the lot from one car to another...

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”