Engine conversion 3S-FE to 3S-GE

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
ProGeoffrey

Engine conversion 3S-FE to 3S-GE

Post by ProGeoffrey »

Hi all I'm a big fan of this amazing site what I've been using since i bought my mk2 rev1 mr2 :notworthy:

Unfortunately I've now broken my 3sef engine with running on low/no oil :facepalm: i'm aware it's one of the most stupid things to do about a car.

About me - I'm 27 and always been interested in combustion in general but couldn't afford insurance until resiliently for a desired car. So i resorted to using the internet to learn what i can about how engines work and buying 1:10 nitro and electric cars and mini moto and midi moto 2stoke bikes but never anything more exciting due to family commitments ie being main PA to my brother with cerebral palsy while he left school and went to college. Things have changed these days with my brother setting up a support group and myself taking a back seat in the works. I've applied for college to do motor mechanics to learn everything i need to know and hopefully a job in the industry.

I've no experience in any real engine work apart from induction kits on real cars. I have changed the disks and pads with using guides and workshop manuals on my mr2 and a Ford ka 03 and Nissan micra 92 i owned in the past.

So with college away so far away and i have a garage of my own with some sets of tools. I was thinking of buying a 2toe hoist (found one for £140 new posted) and buying this 3S-GE engine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-SW ... 1e8a402165 and replacing my 3SEF engine.

Would this work? are the engines mounted in the same location on the same mounts? would the radiator and pipe work match and be enough to cool the another engine?

I've ordered this manual http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK ... 3ce064b6da what is suppose to have everything i need to know about my 3SEF engine and chassis. Awaiting it in the post.

Sorry about the spill it's just alot to take :bye: i miss driving my mr2 and it's only been 4days :crybaby:

Please help :bye:
Last edited by ProGeoffrey on 29/04/14 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Engine conversion 3SEF to 3S-GE

Post by jimi »

3S-FE not 3SEF ;)
Toyota Workshop manuals can be downloaded for free from here http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/198/80372.html
the engine mounts etc are the same but you will need at a bare minimum the engine harness and ECU that belong to the replacement engine,you may well need more than that.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
ProGeoffrey

Re: Engine conversion 3SEF to 3S-GE

Post by ProGeoffrey »

Thanks for replying :)

Is that about the same with all the mr2 engines just needing the loom and ecu?

Would engines with a auto gearbox just need the ecu changed to a manual and it should fit a manual gearbox?

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Engine conversion 3S-FE to 3S-GE

Post by peteV6R5 »

Mate the different REVs have different additional item such as immobilisers / alarms etc and as such the ECU is wired slightly differently and even some 3SGE to 3SGE need some loom and pin changes.
3SFE to 3SGE if you have the engine loom, the passenger side loom and ECU you should be able to change it over and make it work.
Unless the bodywork is immaculate I would just go out and buy a good 3SGE SW20.
3SFE comes with no power steering / no ABS etc so you would get these upgrades with most 3SGE rev2 onward cars.

if you do go for the REV1 3SGE engine - contact the seller and get the ECU and all the looms - engine to ECU to rear fuse box - passenger side loom to fuse box and anything else you can lay your hands on.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

If you get a 3sge rev1 engine and loom with correct ecu you'll be ok for wiring. Passenger side loom will be ok, you can just plug strait in and it'll run no worries.
Even if you go rev2 it'll work, the issues happen when you go any newer, you can run them as I have but wiring its a bit more involved.
Forget converting to an auto, its a job not worth doing. You can use the engine but will need a manual loom and ecu to go with it.

Plumbing should be fine or easily adaptable, you wont have any problems with the rad or pipework on the car itself. There's only an in and an out to deal with and that'll be at the engine side.

Transmission could be a ballache, IIRC the GE engine uses a different gearbox to FE. Would check drive shafts as well just to be sure they are the same. Not expensive to replace but get an idea of total costs. Don't forget the drive shaft seals either, definitely get new ones!

A 2 tonne crane is good for the reach, very few 1tonne will do the job without pressing against the rear bumper.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

peteV6R5 Chris69 amazing !! I'm not looking for powered steering and abs at the moment as it keeps the car a little simpler to work on hehe :laughing My SW20 is not bad nick for 24yo. I say not bad because it's had a few mods... :rolleyes: The body kit and spoiler i love but the leds that light up my shoelaces from under the dash so all see reflecting in the windows is my shoes are a bit dangerous because they are hooked up to the headlights :blink: I do love the purple but i'll see about changing it to the interior door light so when i go in and out they pop on and off but never when driving hahaha apart from that there's little rust showing from a good look about. The archways from the boot are needing attention. Apart from that i need to take off the bumpers and skirts for a good look i think :blush: I could post a few photos if anyone wants to see her? bearing in mind she only cost £650 :laughing

I've contacted the guy for the rev1 3SGE and it has the loom with it. I have a photo of the ecu that was fitted. I think the part number is 89661 - 17310

Would i be safe to buy this ecu thinking it'll work with the 3SGE? :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK ... 3f33843080

The guy also has a gearbox from a rev3 3SGE if anyone knows if that would fit i could get it when picking up the engine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-SW ... 1e8a4027c5

I ordered the 2ton crane on Sunday night there :facepalm: well at-least i now have a 2ton crane :yahoo: lol

Thanks for replying i really mean it :notworthy:

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

I have a working rev1 ecu you can have for £15 delivered
You will also need the rev1 coilpack and ignitor I think and maybe the potentiometer (I have all these) lefy over from mine.
Ps if you buy that rev3 gearbox I know someone who needs an electronic speedo sender ;)

Topic author
ProGeoffrey

Post by ProGeoffrey »

madbasshunter :facepalm: I've went an ordered one off ebay £31 delivered :sad: I'm gutted i didn't wait. Thank you so much for offering :D i'll check with the man if the engine has coilpack and ignitor and the potentiometer an get back to yourself for a price. Whats the potentiometer do? :blink:

Anychance you know where i can pick up a electronic speedo sender for the rev3 gearbox? :shocked:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”