Any tips or tricks for feeding speaker wire into doors?

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Any tips or tricks for feeding speaker wire into doors?

Post by jimi »

You'd better watch that the HSE don't check your car or you'll need to fit these on the doors

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I got around to doing a bit of my install today, and when I got the door off and looked at the wiring at the kick panel, the previous owners had obviously messed about (a lot).

As a result, my best bet was to just match up the wiring that was going to the speakers and tweeters.

Now, excuse the following explanation but hopefully it makes some sort of sense.

I did the driver's side first. In the white connector in the kick panel, there were 2 wires that had been cut and weren't connected to anything. There was also aftermarket speaker wire connected to 2 OTHER wires in the loom. I did a check and the two un-connected wires were the wires that originally went into the door speakers. The two wires from the kick panel that were connected to speaker wire appeared then to be the 2 that ended up in the little proprietary tweeter connector.

From that, I figured that there were 4 wires in total needed - 2 for the speaker and 2 for the tweeter. I then proceeded to feed 4 wires from the drunk into the kick panel - connected 2 of them to the previously connected to speaker wire, and then two onto the white connector wires that previously had nothing connected to them.

NOW, when I did the passenger side, there were simiarly 2 'unconnected' pink/purple wires in the white connector plug in kick panel. I couldn't trace these to anywhere (weirdly). Again, there was aftermarket speaker wire connected to 2 other wires (pink and purple).

My issue here is that I could trace the the wires that connect to the tweeter AND the speaker in the door to this wire.

I did a google and it suggested that the factory install had a basic crossover setup in the OEM speaker, and that the tweeter sort of 'fed off' the main speaker by chaining it.

This, to me, would suggest there should only be one pair of wires feeding all the audio into each door.

Maybe in the driver's door, when I seen 4 wires, it was actually just that the wire that was connected to speaker cable was originally connected to the white plug, and now the white plug wasn't needed?

I'm terribly confused, ask any questions and I'll take some photos to help explain.

Cheers ! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Topic author
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

Ok, so looking at it again I'm thinking the white connector blue/green I have connected to dont actually go anywhere in the door.

Am I right in thinking that the 'original' set up was that the two pairs of blue/green wires I am crimped were actually connected together?

few other photos: http://imgur.com/hoNsfve,evUqybu,5IZAUBb,2w7ogQG#0

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

The toyota doors have woofers in the bottom and tune up tweeters (tweeter with a capacitor on the back) so the blue and green wires come down the centre console from the amps behind passenger seat along the dash and to the socket for the door plug
This pic shows the wires pulled out of the door (and my new wires)
The two wires go into the door then each splits in two to feed woofer and tweeter, no crossover as there is a capacitor on the tweeter to stop the low frequencies

Topic author
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

Thanks, when I thought about it fresh this morning it made more sense.

I've rejigged it now, crossovers are in the doors going to the tweeters/woofers, with the aqua/blue stock wires feeding into them.

not connected the amp up yet to see if anything works yet, but here's hoping. i've had the doors off more than any car doors should ever come off :facepalm: :facepalm:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”