Seeking advice on security systems

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Koni

Seeking advice on security systems

Post by Koni »

Hi all,

So I picked up my new MK2 MR2 last week and I'm looking to get some good security fitted as its only got the standard factory install. As its my new pride and joy, I want to sleep soundly at night :)
I'm completely new to looking at alarms, all the options and prices range wildly so I'm looking for some guidance to what sort of thing I should go for.

So things I want - Immobilizer, Remote central locking, detection for vandalism (breaking windows, jacking the wheels etc). I've done a bit of research and found some systems even have a text alert or keyfob alert of whats going on with the vehicle, like doors open, engine on etc. (this might only be a "dream" option).

As I said, i'm totally new to looking at alarm systems and I dont know what to look at really, e.g. I'm not sure if I need a system with an immobilizer if I already have the factory one installed. I'd like to have a system in a category that's approved by insurance companies as well to help lower my premium if possible.

I'm looking to spend over £200 to around £350ish fitted, I'll consider anything that's known to be great quality.

I'd appreciate any advice, i really know nothing about this stuff.

Cheers

Rich

Topic author
sykesMr2

Re: Seeking advice on security systems

Post by sykesMr2 »

im not really in the know how my self but my old gtv had a toad alarm fitted to it and it had the tilt sensor you on about (found out that accidently) the website is http://www.toadalarm.com/car_lcv_security.asp they also have a live chat feature so you could in throey speak to someone who knows a lot more

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

I've got a viper (Clifford) on mine.

I've also had toad too.

They both have all the features you want.

Topic author
Koni

Post by Koni »

Thanks guys, I'm still looking around. I think I am probably thinking its more complicated than it actually is. Any more tips are welcome. I'll post when I find something.

Topic author
Doobie

Post by Doobie »

You won't go wrong with a Toad Ai606, I have them fitted to all my pride and joys. But look for a recommended installer - an alarm is only as good as the guy fitting it.

They're Cat 1 thatcham rated, for your insurance, and will replace your standard immobiliser with a better one.
They're reliable too - Clifford's can be very hit and miss, and the last thing you want is the immobiliser playing up meaning you can't use the car.

You can also add "bolt on" options, like tilt (jacking) sensors, automatic window closing etc etc

Over 6 years of having a Toad alarm, I've never had a fault and they've stopped two theft attempts too. My only, tiny, gripe is that the key-fobs aren't much to look at, and look cheap and tacky (never had one fail, mind)

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

The alarm I fitted on my red2 had a pager keyring
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs5s92obwjx0g ... 4.jpg?dl=0
which will tell you if a door bonnet or boot is opened, if its been knocked or if someone is by the car, peoples faces as you appear is priceless, the alarm bleeps to warn them off as well. Also has a 4 button carbon remote. It has remote start and I added total closure so it locked the doors wound the windows up (and folded the mirrors in extra wires and diodes needed) and an internal siren.
It also has immobiliser remote start and turbo timer built in and is in my garage if you want it pm me ;) http://www.in-car-installs.co.uk/shop/f ... -p-30.html

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Had a few toads and all had issues but nothing as bad as Cliffords.
Currently on another autowatch, been the most reliable with plenty of functions I've had
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

PsyKen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PsyKen »

I have a Viper system. No interior sensors, but no issues at all so far.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
My Flickr
My Car Camera Playlist

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”