Cutting out/not holding revs

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
KD12

Cutting out/not holding revs

Post by KD12 »

Hi, I've got a 1996 mr2 that's been cutting out and not holding revs. When I start the car it will not hold revs at all and will immediately die. When it gets warm it will have a very rough idle at about 800rpm. Or sometimes it holds idle normally at around 1100rpm. Even when warm however it will cut out, especially if you give it a rev, it will immediately cut out. I only bought the car last week and the previous owner told me it just had a high idle, and it drove home with no problem other than the idle being slightly high. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

BYRNEY1984
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Cutting out/not holding revs

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

Could be a few things. First check for fault codes by sticking a wire in diagnostic plug. Theres a full guide on here for the fault code list etc. it could be a vacuum leak, the ISCV, TPS. The list goes on. But if you get a fault code start there.

Topic author
KD12

Re: Cutting out/not holding revs

Post by KD12 »

Ah right, I'll get to that immediately then, thanks

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”