Headlight issues - Please help

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
GaryG Mk1B

Re: Headlight issues - Please help

Post by GaryG Mk1B »

I think I may Have broken it myself to be honest, I was putting in a modified relay that makes the main lights stay down and off when the sidelights are turned on, however the instructions given were so vague and I being new to MR2s plugged it into the wrong relay slot at first. Probably my own fault and not a mistake I'd make nowadays but it's been an issue for so long now.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

GaryG Mk1B wrote:I think I may Have broken it myself to be honest, I was putting in a modified relay that makes the main lights stay down and off when the sidelights are turned on, however the instructions given were so vague and I being new to MR2s plugged it into the wrong relay slot at first. Probably my own fault and not a mistake I'd make nowadays but it's been an issue for so long now.
:confused1: my instructions for the mods certainly aren't vague IMHO (they even have pictures ) http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/V ... %20mod.htm and http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/V ... 20mod2.htm
anyway you still haven't said which relay we are talking about. Is it the dim/dip relay, it's bright green (or possibly light grey on a changeover car) or the retract relay (black) although I'm pretty sure they aren't interchangeable, the pin configuration is different IIRC.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
GaryG Mk1B

Post by GaryG Mk1B »

Therein lies the problem, I didn't get it from you, probably my first mistake, anyhow it's the black relay.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

The black one (next to the wiper motor) is the Retract Control relay, so a duff relay could easily cause your problem. Check there's no corrosion on the pins of the relay or on the plug.
Do you know anyone with a MK1 ? if so you could try your relay in their car to prove whether it is OK or not.
What happens if you try to manually wind the lights back down ?

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

Where is the retract control relay on a mk2 rev2 ?
I think mine wants some tlc.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Yes, blue relay next to the fusebox in the front compartment. But it's probably acting up because it's 22 years old now and it 'bloody well wants to' :laughing

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=208

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

jimi wrote:Yes, blue relay next to the fusebox in the front compartment. But it's probably acting up because it's 22 years old now and it 'bloody well wants to' :laughing

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=208
Cheers Jimi. Eyes open I see :)

Topic author
GaryG Mk1B

Post by GaryG Mk1B »

You might be onto something with cleaning the contacts, I had a good hard gander and while the terminals themselves are still pretty clean there appears to be a little damage to two of the pin holes on the wiring loom, the terminals are still there but they might not be making proper contact, the white with red stripe and white with black stripe wires if that means anything to you, sadly I've not been able to find a good wiring diagram to know what those particular wires do, guess it might be worth having Toyota replace the plug or seeing if I can get hold of a new one myself.

Topic author
GaryG Mk1B

Post by GaryG Mk1B »

Or not it would seem, I took it to the nearest Toyota dealership to see about getting the plug replaced and they said that the plug seemed fine to them, that said these are the guys who misdiagnosed my Celica a while back. they said the plug was remarkably clean and the damage was too minimal to be of any effect, any suggestions what to try next?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”