Stock Airbox vs Aftermarket Induction Kit

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Stock Airbox vs Aftermarket Induction Kit

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Nic wrote:Does the ARC airbox seal to the side intake

No
nic wrote: is the panel filter just open to the airflow like a standard cone filter kit?
Yes :th:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Protok wrote:
Nic wrote:
sinjen wrote:Out of interest though, can a Dyno environment replicate on road conditions at 7000rpm ie 40mph (ish) airflow into the engine bay (1st gear)?
Most dyno runs are done with the bonnet/engine cover open, which obviously does not replicate on road conditions. On a front engined car it also explains how the fitting of an aftermarket induction kit could show an increase in hp on a dyno run.
Just to show how much it can't.

In order for mine to be mapped, a fan had to be fitted onto the intercooler because the IAT temperatures were hitting dangerous levels.
But on the road, the fan barely ever came on; maybe when I was sat in traffic for a couple of minutes before boosting.
You have to run a fan on the MR2 sidemount no matter what IC you fit. What were the intake temps out of interest and at what ambient air temperature ? The stock IC at 10psi saw me hitting high 70Deg C but even the stock fan running took it it down 14 Deg C. Increased the boost to 17psi and fitted a 9" SPAL that kicks in at 5psi and the temps dropped another couple of degrees. Intake temps under full boost are still in the 60's. Ambient air temp was 26 Deg C.

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

On the dyno during full boost they were hitting 70-80°C but with the fan they are never above 40°C. On the road I don't think I've ever seen them hit above 35°C.
Could be something to do with the fact I had a very small turbo fitted only boosting 1bar.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

All the intake piping on mine is now running cold to the touch and I also bypassed the throttle body coolant as this has the throttle body and intake runners running at 63 Deg C. Probably not a good idea for those of you in the UK however that get low temperatures as its there to stop the butterfly from getting iced up and sticking. There are a number of small mods you can do that make a difference that don't cost much.

GMLive

Post by GMLive »

MR2DI4 wrote:I think you need to put coments like "Very Very restrictive" into perspective unless your trying to run 600Hp.

The 0.5Hp your missing out on with a nice quiet intake on a stock car is overshadowed by about a dozen other mods you would do first to improve the performance of your MR2. Just saying.

Cost and time vs return = not worth it unless it's the sound your after.

Also for long term protection of the engine and ease of maintenance you cannot beat the stock panel filter, just pull it out throw it in the bin and put in a new one.
Sorry to drag this post up for the dead but I have to agree, for years I've ran stock intakes on my Celica GT4 and my old Supra and Mondeo ST24, I tried expensive induction kits and found there to be very little difference on dyno runs, the only difference was a change in how the engine sounds which hardly justifies forking out hundreds of pounds :blink:

Anyway the MR2 stock box is plenty big enough and if you use genuine filters then you wont have a problem, plus how safe are induction kits when it comes to real bad weather and water???? at least stock boxes cater for drain away before it hits the engine plus induction kits would be for ever sucking in the air that surrounds the engine bay heat "shielded or not" which would knock the air temp sensor for six and result in some weird running issues especially in the winter

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”