No start unless no AFM *FIXED*- Rev 2 Turbo

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Re: No EML showing, checked... - Rev 2 Turbo

Post by PaulWoods »

In fact, you may well find the starter motor has tried to use AFM circuitry as a ground, which has now damaged it, wouldn't surprise me at all.

http://www.woodsport.org 0191 3770962 / 07951304712

Topic author
Shaleskin

Re: No EML showing, checked... - Rev 2 Turbo

Post by Shaleskin »

PaulWoods wrote:Another thing that might help, when the AFM goes bad the CEL won't illuminate.
This is an interesting point. If I disconnect the AFM would I expect it to show the CEL again if the AFM is the cause?

EDIT!:

Well, disconnected the AFM clip and BAM! The engine light illuminated on key turn... The problem that started this (as well as the grounding issue) could also be the problem to end it.

Although, Surely if it was fried/damaged in some way I wouldn't get a reading from the terminals?

Merry Christmas all! :clapping:

PaulWoods

Re: EML now working, with AFM off - Rev 2 Turbo

Post by PaulWoods »

As I thought, your AFM is causing a problem , probably damaged by lack of starter ground

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

PaulWoods wrote:As I thought, your AFM is causing a problem , probably damaged by lack of starter ground

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Just want to confirm before I purchase another AFM that it is definitely the AFM. With it disconnected, it starts and then stalls within a few seconds but with it connected it'll just keep turning over endlessly.

If I leave the key in the ON position and disconnect the the clip to the AFM housing I can hear a click somewhere behind the inlet manifold and then a whirring noise from a pump up front stops after a few seconds and the EML illuminates again. As soon as I connect it again the EML goes out and the pump up front starts whirring away again endlessly. if I leave it slightly connected and let it connect and disconnect with a fingers touch the clicking sounds like a relay but from behind the inlet manifold?

If all of this is just me looking for an easier excuse to make my AFM work then just say and I'll purchase another, only reason I'm hesitant to is because it still give back healthy results so I look at it as if it's going through the AFM fine and going elsewhere that's possibly causing an open circuit once I connect the AFM...

Thanks for your help so far everyone!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

One open circuit is the same as another, when the plug is out you have an open circuit and you are able to start the car, with the plug in it won't start ....... so it can't be causing an open circuit can it ? or it would just do the same, therefore it must be causing a low resistance or short on some part of the circuit that it shouldn't be.
I don't think you have any other choice other than trying a different AFM
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

jimi wrote:One open circuit is the same as another, when the plug is out you have an open circuit and you are able to start the car, with the plug in it won't start ....... so it can't be causing an open circuit can it ? or it would just do the same, therefore it must be causing a low resistance or short on some part of the circuit that it shouldn't be.
I don't think you have any other choice other than trying a different AFM
Yeah that makes sense. All right, just purchased another now so when it arrives I'm sure it'll run fine and can start fixing some other minor problems!

Cheers :th:

Chris_D
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Chris_D »

Sounds to me like it's shorting out the 5V rail. I would say it's something broken in the AFM but also possible you have a cooked wiring loom shorting the 5V to one of the signal wires so that when the AFM grounds the signal wire it takes down the power.

try the AFM first.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

I know for a fact that a lack of starter motor ground melts the loom on the car, so i'll be surprised if there isn't more than just the AFM faulty.

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

Right! Thought I'd post an update as It's always nice to read through a post with problems to then get to the bottom of what was causing the issue beforehand!

My replacement (2nd hand unit) AFM arrived today. Plugged it in, BANG! EML lit up like a Christmas tree! Turned the key over, struggled for about 5mins and then ran smoother than I've ever had it since ownership last September(ish)!

So yeah, my ground from transmission/engine to chassy wasn't doing it's job properly and so (I assume) my AFM was used as a ground as was the little ground cable used by the ECU (hence it melted).

happy it's now working so thanks for your help people and now to tackle the rocker cover gasket :th:

PaulWoods

Re: No start unless no AFM *FIXED*- Rev 2 Turbo

Post by PaulWoods »

You're welcome.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Result ! :cool1:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Great stuff :th:
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”