Air filter replacement.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Re: Air filter replacement.

Post by MRturboTom »

cosmos wrote:I attended a hill climb meeting at Prescott near Winchcomb last year and noticed that in the main ITG and Pipercross air filters were used whilst milling around the free paddock.

Excellent day out.
And they're both foam type filters, which in my opinion are ok when new but don't have the rewashable (though are washable a few times) long life of cotton as they begin to break down over time. Even my tom's supersuction (I think its called) had fallen apart.
The best thing about the foam filters is they give the best noise due to often being of alloy chassis construction which resonate the induction noise

'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Yes... but foam filters aren't good at actually filtering! Common on competition cars, yes, but for keeping a healthy engine on the road with longevity I'd prefer to fit paper or cotton and replace regularly.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

^^^^^What he said.

Foam with sticky foam oil works great on my Kart where pea sized bits of rubber and large stones will instantly kill your engine but your just not that interested in fine filtration that makes your engine last thousands of hours of run time as the competition engine gets rebuilt every 10 to 40 hours !

Topic author
M.R.2

Post by M.R.2 »

Thanks for your insight guys, i shall just replace with cotton panel :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”