1MZ - replacing the S54 with an E153 LSD Driveshaft Question

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dgwaan
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 2

1MZ - replacing the S54 with an E153 LSD Driveshaft Question

Post by dgwaan »

Hello, first post, hopefully this is in the correct place...

I currently have a rev5 UKDM and have converted to a 1MZ from a 97 Camry - £8K later! Thanks Paul Woods for the wiring harness/custom clutchplate flywheel/outstanding advice.

Quite happy with the result, but still lots of work to do.

I kept the S54 box, and Paul's kindly helped with extending the 5th gear but it's still a bit short overall and i feel the E153 would certainly be a better trans

I managed to get my hands on an E153 LSD recently and potentially some driveshafts

My questions:

I know that I may have to splice driveshafts together - I can potentially import some hybrid axles (with the NA hub ends and Turbo axle stubs), but my main question is does anyone have experience mounting the long axle stub to the 1MZ? I remember it used to have a carrier for the camry axles which i removed at the time and probably don't have any more.

I'm guessing my best option will be to fabricate a new mount for the long stub and fitting NA hub ends to a set of turbo shafts - but as we are not talking a huge amount of power (i'm only running a stock 1MZ and the S54 is perfectly happy) i'm also considering the possibility of just modifying the existing axle stubs on my N/A shafts to "make them fit". The E153 I have is a JDM import 89-90, with a pinhole (not a bar) so I'm imagining theres not much difference in the stub, but this is not based off any real knowledge.

As i'm already running the 1MZ through my NA shafts i have no problem using these, so in an ideal world i'd like to repurpose my NA shafts and use them in the E153.

Side Q - anyone know if i need to consider a different clutch/flywheel to use with E153? I wouldn't have thought so but if anyone knows for sure... :th:

Does anyone have any experience or advice to share based on the above?

Many thanks to all
Attachments
MR2_nov-22.png
View of "JDM" 89/90 E153 "LSD" Trans
View of "JDM" 89/90 E153 "LSD" Trans

BYRNEY1984
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: 1MZ - replacing the S54 with an E153 LSD Driveshaft Question

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

Hi pal. I currently run a turbo 3vzfe with the s54 box. Using a machined 3sgte flywheel and a custom friction plate. Same size as a 3sgte but only has 20 splines not 21. You will need to spend some money to swap it all out to install the e153. You will need the full driveshafts including the half shaft carrier mount and the 3sgte hubs. You could make a hybrid using the outer na cv joints. But unless you are going to machine them yourself it would cost a bit. I can’t remember exactly but the 3sgte carrier bearing needs moving a couple of mm. but I am sure using the camry half shaft and carrier works fine. So then you only need the driverside outer shaft. But have a look on the twobrutal archives or ask Paul and he will tell you as he has done many. Depending on your flywheel if it a machined na one that will need changing as the 3sgte clutch is 10mm wider in diameter. Unless you get a custom friction plate made like me. You can still buy the fidanza flywheels that will fit the 3sgte clutch perfectly. Or if you want to keep the weight and balance get a 3vz one shipped from america. If you look on mr2heaven.com. They make the e153 shafts fairly priced. Hope this helps and sorry for any spelling errors. I nearly chopped my fingers off in work yesterday ffs haha

Topic author
dgwaan

Post by dgwaan »

Thanks for the info byrney

Found your thread on the archives actually, nice job on there. Forgot about twobrutal!

Starting to make me wonder whether its going to be worth the job, or if i'm better off considering fitting a quaife and keeping my box - maybe try and find a compatible final drive for the s54...

Food for thought - appreciate your help

BYRNEY1984

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

No worries. I’m happy with the standard s54 gearing. Its shorter but I did make mine for acceleration more than just flat out top end. Its a lot of money but if its what you want then do it. Or take your time buying everything then swap it out.

Topic author
dgwaan

Post by dgwaan »

Agreed, the acceleration is bang on but i do feel like first is practically useless...

I have a fidanza flywheel so the 3sgte clutch would suit

Unfortunately dont have the camry half shaft or carrier so i'd be looking at sourcing or fabricating these i think.

I already have the box now - and it's not like they're getting any easier to find so find!

Think i'll shelve it for now and concentrate on the bodywork and de-rustifying - finally got some shiny new t-bar seals to fit!

BYRNEY1984

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

Haha yeah I know what you mean. 28-30mph and I’m on the red line in first. My major issue is spinning the wheels in the damp when I go to overtake in 3rd at about 60mph. But it does wake me up on the way to work some mornings 😂. If you’ve got the box thats biggest expense. MR2Ben had some new old stock ones for £4000. I do have a camry 3vzfe half shaft and carrier. Somewhere haha. I was going to put an E153 box in myself at some point but never got round to it. Seeing as the S54 is handling the power fine. But I have limited it to 7psi for now. Which is plenty but I will up it to 10psi at some point. Should make around the 360bhp mark then.
I did all mine over the last 18-24 months. Not one bit of rust now. I even had to cut out the inside of the upper rear arch. Didn’t know they rot there but mine was bad. Had to cut the boot firewall out a bit to get access and weld it back up. But you’d never tell
Good luck stick some pics up when you start cutting haha

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”