3SGE Rev 1 to Rev 3. Difficluties?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Ginjaninja92

3SGE Rev 1 to Rev 3. Difficluties?

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Hey all, I'm new to the whole forum thing so go easy on me :P

I've got myself a Rev 1 N/A in cracking nick, no rust, very clean...apart from the engine which is needing rings and possibly more, so the engines getting ditched! I've came across a clean Rev 3 N/A with only 80,000 on the clock inc. gearbox, being sold for only £150! Bargain eh. The question is, what problems would i run into swapping a Rev 1 to Rev 3, Wiring? Mounts? ECU?

All help much appreciated guy's!

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: 3SGE Rev 1 to Rev 3. Difficluties?

Post by Protok »

Same mounts so it's just a case of making sure you get the right wiring and ecu with the clip.
I wouldn't imagine it to be too hard, it all works basically the same way.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Okay excellent, thanks. so are we talking ECU and passenger side wiring loom?
Apolagies for my lack of knowledge :)

Topic author
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

If it's a UK Rev 3 engine into an import I'd have a chat with gtschris. He did that coversion for me a couple of years ago and unless you're going to replace the whole loom there'll be a few electrical problems he had to sort out. The main one on mine was that on start up the motor would run for 20 or 30 seconds then die. It took him 3 days to figure that one out. I'd give him a ring before you start, he'll give you some useful pointers.

Topic author
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Bikerider it's a UK Rev 3 engine into a UK Rev 1 car, would i still have the same issues with wiring, and do you know if its only the ECU i need to take or other wiring also?

Thanks for the help :)

Topic author
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

Can't help you I'm afraid but one thing you'll need to think about is the immobiliser. That was the problem with mine. Gtschris used the ecu off the Rev3 UK car with a built in immobiliser that needed to be disarmed with the key, the Rev 1 import didn't. That's why it would only run for 20 or 30 seconds then cut out. He had to neutralise it by wiring the Rev 3's ignition key into the Rev 1's ignition system.

If it's likely you'll have the same issues maybe the answer is to transfer the whole loom.

Topic author
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Ok thanks a lot bikerider, i'll do some research n see what i can find out :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”