Alarm not sounding.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dannyboolahlah

Alarm not sounding.

Post by dannyboolahlah »

When my alarm is triggered the hazards flash, but the siren doesn't work.
Any ideas to try before I look into swapping the sounder?
Thanks.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Alarm not sounding.

Post by shinny »

Hmmm, there are some critical details you've not told us... like what car this is and what alarm it has fitted!

Topic author
dannyboolahlah

Post by dannyboolahlah »

Sorry, long day.

It's a mk2 Rev 4 N/A, UK car with the standard TVSS system.

shinny

Post by shinny »

It's vaguely possible the siren in unplugged, but given the location of the siren I would put money on it being busted. (They all die due to exposure to water) New sirens are £50-£60 from Toyota and are located under the passenger side headlight.

Here's my how-to on changing headlight motors - if you follow steps 1-3 then you can gain good access to the siren to check the connection:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=197

Topic author
dannyboolahlah

Post by dannyboolahlah »

I've checked the siren for anything obvious, and its definitely plugged in.
Thanks, ill start looking for a second hand one first I think.

shinny

Post by shinny »

dannyboolahlah wrote:I've checked the siren for anything obvious, and its definitely plugged in.
Thanks, ill start looking for a second hand one first I think.
Good luck... I'd make darn sure whatever you buy actually works because a lot of these will have perished by now. I've bought 3 MR2s with this alarm system, and replaced two of the sirens. (And this is a few years ago when the cars were 9 years old, rather than the 16 ish yours now is)

eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by eringobragh »

I got mine from a RAV4 - completely different part number but it done the trick (loom matched) - make sure to stick the replacement siren in a bag of some sort. I used 2 thick internet router bags, doesn't affect the volume whatsoever.

Topic author
dannyboolahlah

Post by dannyboolahlah »

eringobragh wrote:I got mine from a RAV4 - completely different part number but it done the trick (loom matched) - make sure to stick the replacement siren in a bag of some sort. I used 2 thick internet router bags, doesn't affect the volume whatsoever.
Like this one?
http://bit.ly/194XnRi

Cheers.

shinny

Post by shinny »

That looks very familiar... good trick eringobragh :th:

eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by eringobragh »

dannyboolahlah wrote:
eringobragh wrote:I got mine from a RAV4 - completely different part number but it done the trick (loom matched) - make sure to stick the replacement siren in a bag of some sort. I used 2 thick internet router bags, doesn't affect the volume whatsoever.
Like this one?
http://bit.ly/194XnRi

Cheers.
Looks the same alright:

Cant say for sure but reckon it should work you'd need to see the back of the siren theres a wide connector there for the loom - my rav4 one came with the loom as well and it was the same but it's removalable as well - think any of the modern TVSS stuff should work as the MRS/2 Mk3s are confirmed working also.
shinny wrote:That looks very familiar... good trick eringobragh :th:
Cheers - you'll need to punch 2 hole at the sides for the mounting bolts but I stuck duck tape down on this afterwords, mines in over a year, tried moving to frunk but saound was worse then useless.

- the backup battery pack was shagged in my replacement though - was going to swap it out (it's a 3 or 4 AA pack inside the siren) but didn't get round to it.

Topic author
dannyboolahlah

Post by dannyboolahlah »

I can confirm the Rav4 one fits! :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”