Alternator interchageability

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
fingers99

Alternator interchageability

Post by fingers99 »

I think (read on to discover why!) the alternator on the red (rev 1) turbo has given up the ghost. I've two possible donors which might provide a replacement until I can get the original rebuilt: a rev 1 N/A car and a Rev 3 turbo. Anyone know which (if either) will fit?

The why is subject to a closer inspection when the sun comes up, but I was driving home, radio on, and as a pulled up at traffic lights next to a Lexus which was pretty much enveloped by a cloud of white smoke I heard some radio interference, which sounded oddly mechanical. Only when I drove past the Lexus did I realise that the radio noise was generated from my car, rather than his. On pulling up, the engine nearly cut, lights dim, then cut and gave only a starter solenoid click-click-click.

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Alternator interchageability

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

The na one won't fit, the alternator engine brackets are different between na and turbo models. Not sure if the bracket and everything can be swapped to get it working though?

The rev3 turbo one will fit, but you'll have to source a rev2+ loom plug, as the rev1 is round, and rev2+ are oval.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

GazRev1Tubby wrote:
The rev3 turbo one will fit, but you'll have to source a rev2+ loom plug, as the rev1 is round, and rev2+ are oval.
Ah, thanks. The Rev 3 one comes with a complete harness, so I can do a cut and solder and heat shrink job on it. (If I can persuade it to get 6 miles to the garage!).

GazRev1Tubby

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Hmm, not sure I fancy your chances to be honest bud, unless you have a spare battery!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

Gr1NcH

Post by Gr1NcH »

Hi
I used these guys for a replacement alt

I actually have the QA4431 100amp fitted to my rev 1 N/A. Jdm.
No alterations required and I fitted myself.
Bloody fiddly but do able.

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/electrical.htm

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Was looking at their site the other day. I'm lucky in that there a local guy who does nothing but rebuild alternators and starter motors: usually he's cheaper than the exchange folk.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

GazRev1Tubby wrote:Hmm, not sure I fancy your chances to be honest bud, unless you have a spare battery!
I'll use the Volvo to get in to do the prep, then I've got 2 good Cinquecento batteries and one MR2 sized one that works OK, but won't hold a charge for more than a day or so. Could nick the one out of the Volvo as well!

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

I drove 2 hours on my turbo with no alternator charging (with a charge cooler pump running too). So as long as you have the battery charged up it'll be fine for 6 miles, just try not to use any electrics.
You need to check the wiring diagram as its not just a case of cut a plug off and solder wires left to right as it was on the old plug
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Chuffin hell. I hop into the car, starts first time, charge is in the good zone (couldn't see last night because the rheostat was up to its usual tricks).

Alternator doesn't sound noisy, but rad fan (which is constant on -- must fix that) sounds rough. No electrical interference on the radio.

Stumped. I have been using the car for short trips over the last week (usually it gets a good 6 miles each way to the garage), so maybe it's time to throw some money at a proper sized battery as winter approaches, and forget about the weight saving Cinquecento one!

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

Unplug the rad fan for now, plugs are just under the plastic shroud in the frunk.

If the fans are running all the time check the radiator temperature sensor as if it fails or is left unplugged the fans run all the time.

MRturboTom

Post by MRturboTom »

Kinsy wrote:Unplug the rad fan for now, plugs are just under the plastic shroud in the frunk.

If the fans are running all the time check the radiator temperature sensor as if it fails or is left unplugged the fans run all the time.
And/or the a/c has been removed and a sensor has been removed creating an open circuit

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Add to that that it's an n/a which has been converted to a turbo.........

Still, one of the jobs before Winter is to swap out the coolant (and radiator -- assuming I can find a better one on one of the spare cars).

Topic author
Dariunas

Post by Dariunas »

Bit of a thread hijack, sorry but any chance a Celica alternator would fit the MR2? (93-97 ST202...?) Failing that, I think I might be checking out TCB also...

MRturboTom

Post by MRturboTom »

Dariunas wrote:Bit of a thread hijack, sorry but any chance a Celica alternator would fit the MR2? (93-97 ST202...?) Failing that, I think I might be checking out TCB also...
Its located in a different place so I believe its it's different

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”