Door card replacement

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
toshioa1989

Door card replacement

Post by toshioa1989 »

Hey guys!

I hope everyone is well and set for the run up to Christmas :th:

It's just a quick one really; I'm looking to replace the material found on the centre part of the door cards (where the door handle is). I don't wish to replace the material on the entire door card, just that centre piece and was wondering, before I order materials and take the door apart, if anyone else had done this and if so, how they had done it? Is that middle section on its own individual 'plate' or is the material simply cut to shape and stuck on with adhesive?

I did have a look through the forums, FAQs and guides but couldn't find any help on the matter :( (I'm now sure you guys will give me links to hundreds of threads :p )

Thank you in advanced and I look forward to hearing your ideas :)

-Chris

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Door card replacement

Post by notroubleclubber »

I'd be interested in this as I've gone from half leathers to full leathers but can't find leather door panels to match.
I'm sure I read somewhere they are just stuck on so could just get these retrimmed.

trevsmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by trevsmr2 »

The material on the door cards is stuck on ,and then moulded in round the edges ,so to remove it you need to cut it off

The leather and the alcantara door cards ,have a separate alloy panel,that is fitted using tabs through the door card ,so these can be removed and recovered

you can cut off the material from the normal cards ,and fit the panels from the leather cards

Panels from the leather cards

you can see the slots in the card that the tabs on the panel fit in

Door card with the material cut off, then you need to cut slits for the panels ,or just stick different material on them

Topic author
colsmr2

Post by colsmr2 »

Rhon covers door cards ask here for some help :th:

Topic author
toshioa1989

Post by toshioa1989 »

Good morning all,

Thank you ever so much for your replies! I unfortunately do not have the leather trimmed cards so I'm guessing I don't have the metal panel below... I think I'll buy a second set of door cards and rip them to shreds instead as you described and have shown above. So on the 'non-leather' cards it's simply a case of cutting the material off and 'gluing' new material on?

I've had a quote to get a aluminium base cut, foam applied to it and then leather wrapped for both sides but I was hoping to try and do this myself as I've done most other things myself :)

Many thanks.

-Chris

trevsmr2

Post by trevsmr2 »

On the normal cloth cards ,yes that is the way you will have to do it ,but its the finishing of them that will be awkward where the binding trim is,Rhon was doing the alloy inserts at one time ,drop her a PM

Topic author
toshioa1989

Post by toshioa1989 »

Hello Trevsmr2!

Thank you very much for your reply - will PM now :)

Kind regards,

-Chris

trevsmr2

Post by trevsmr2 »

If you dont get any joy ,i think i have a tatty set of alcantara inserts ,that can be recovered

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”