Gear selector bearings

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Klawrence
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Gear selector bearings

Post by Klawrence »

Anyone got a good source for the gear selector bearings for an mk2? Mr2ben sell a kit but it’s really expensive for two ball race bearings and a few washers - https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/678

If anyone knows offhand the ID/OD of the bearings required that would be really helpful so I can buy them separately?

Topic author
Klawrence

Re: Gear selector bearings

Post by Klawrence »

Found a few posts online saying 608-2RS Ball Bearing 8X22X7 would be a good fit. Sound about right?

JRD93

Post by JRD93 »

The one I got was off ebay, search "mr2 gearshift bearing". On there for £13.99, was too cheap for me to bother trying to find something else.

_Al_
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

I’d really like a set of the Toyota parts, but they’re not listed separately in the EPC. The OEM bushes have rubber in them for a reason. It takes the strain off the gearbox itself. Ball bearings have no give in them so harsh shifts are transmitted in full.

Maybe it’s a non-issue, but I always come back to the huge amounts of money Toyota will have spent on the car’s development. If they could have got away with a cheap off the shelf bearing instead of a custom made bit, why wouldn’t they?
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Many people don't like using skate board bearings or solid bush replacements for the standard rubber bushes as it they transmit vibration and can have an adverse affect on the gearchange
There was someone doing poly bushes for this (On FB possibly) there was a post on the forum about them, which I'll try and find.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

They look good. I did find a poly set on GT4-play but they were something like £80! Seems a lot for four bits of plastic…
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

_Al_ wrote: 02/03/23 7:36 They look good. I did find a poly set on GT4-play but they were something like £80! Seems a lot for four bits of plastic…
BRD are a lot cheaper than that ;)

Website - https://www.brooks-brd.co.uk/index.html

Price list - https://www.brooks-brd.co.uk/price%20li ... 202023.pdf

_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

That’s more like it! Thanks Jimi :th:
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
Klawrence

Post by Klawrence »

Got a pair of ball bearings in what I think are the right size. Will give them a go and can always swap out for poly bushes later if the vibration is too much. At least it’s a very easy job.

JRD93

Post by JRD93 »

I swapped mine out of a 208k mile MR2 as I thought my OEM ones would be shot, turns out they were in pretty good condition as far as I could tell. I didn't notice any difference in vibration switching to the ball bearings. The shift feel was improved, but I did several things at once such as the solid bushings under the shifter mount and regreased the shifter cup.

The oem shifter bushings were probably made to minimise vibration through the shifter and provide cushioned shifting, what car manufacturers don't take into account is time, they make cars to last a certain number of years and rely on parts being replaced over time also. They also want the car to be as comftable as possible, I was going for a more gated feel through the gear changes.

One thing I haven't done yet and have the part for is the square bushing, I would imagine mine is pretty bad and never been rotated.

Topic author
Klawrence

Post by Klawrence »

Cheers for the feedback.

Mine are a total mess, one of them is worn into a very loose oval and there is a good cm or so of play when you move the cable. Hopefully it will make the shifting feel much better!

Topic author
Klawrence

Post by Klawrence »

Did one of the bearings this evening and it’s taken up a ton of slop in the shifter - feels way more positive in use. Old bushing just popped out with a bit of pressure and the bearing pressed right in no problem, with a little red grease to ease matters.

Old one was completely shot as you can see in the photo. When I fitted the new bearing, I just used a few washers to fill in the rest of the gap and center it on the spindle.
Attachments
1A094587-8F5C-445A-8F67-4525185E6F8E.jpeg
C72ADC02-00D0-4A83-B9C6-1563C00ABEC3.jpeg
C72ADC02-00D0-4A83-B9C6-1563C00ABEC3.jpeg (60.45 KiB) Viewed 85 times

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

To be honest its not the ideal job for a ball bearing.

Would be better off making them from a solid phosphorous bronze bearing material but you need access to a lathe.

Made a couple for the shifter linkage of a Subaru 3.0R. Basically 2 are the new factory shock absorbent variety (Original ones totally disappeared) and I made the mistake of trying to reuse the original nylon ones that looked perfect and then they lasted like 6 months and I had to do it all again so went metal instead. Also added 2 o-rings that sealed in the grease and kept out the dirt. Basically the whole coupling is just a universal joint.

It pays to change your gearbox oil to a full synthetic, it halves the shifting action and thus the wear on the bushes. Still had original ones on the MR2 with next to no wear (But I did grease them once) at 234,000km.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”