MR2 1.8 VWT-i SMT BLTHR AC

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
vulcanrider

MR2 1.8 VWT-i SMT BLTHR AC

Post by vulcanrider »

HI.
Want to fit a light weight fly wheel.. to this model ... can any one tell me if its a standard flywheel as it has a flapy paddle gear box ???

Topic author
Mr Blue

Re: MR2 1.8 VWT-i SMT BLTHR AC

Post by Mr Blue »

All a lighten flywheel is going to do is let it rev more and you may lose some of the bottom end lb you want :rolleyes:

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Firstly it's VVT-i not VWT-i.

As for losing power, load of crock. A lightweight flywheel never loses you power, in fact it makes more of the engine's power available to the wheels just from being lighter, the lighter an engine component is the easier it is for the engine to move.

As for fitting a flywheel to the SMT, I simply think don't think so but then again never took one apart. I would think they are the same as an automatic gearbox in which a wheel is used as both as a clutch and flywheel.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

millentubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by millentubby »

The SMT's have normal flywheel/clutch etc.

It's just a manual gearbox with solenoids to operate the clutch and gear selectors.

So you would be able to fit an uprated flywheel.

I'd convert to full manual first though...but that's just me.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Protok wrote:I would think they are the same as an automatic gearbox in which a wheel is used as both as a clutch and flywheel.
Nope.

Sorry dude but you are wrong.

The Autobox uses a flex plate and a viscous flywheel (i.e. comprised of oil) that is driven by a pump to vary the viscousity and vary the torque driven to the torque convertor in order to drive the wheels.

It provides a very un-economical way of stop-start motoring, yet on a long motorway run is very economical.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”