Original OEM CD Player

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Reebmit

Original OEM CD Player

Post by Reebmit »

Hi, can anyone tell me if the 7751 CD Player is the only option Toyota had for 1990 (H) MR2 Mk2. My car is totally original and running an original Toyota 1669 tape player with the blanking plate below. I'm gutted as I just missed one on Ebay as I was unsure if there were variations on this CD, i.e wiring/plugs etc... the CD looked like it had one thick cable with multi pinned round plug. It was only 25 pounds posted so probably missed a bargain. Any advice appreciated :)

Topic author
Reebmit

Re: Original OEM CD Player

Post by Reebmit »

From what I can see on the forum it looks like I need to try and get a 74201 CD unit....

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

I have the blanking plate if you need one from a 91 uk model.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
Reebmit

Post by Reebmit »

Hi Jamie, thanks for reply but have the original still there. I want to get hold of an original CD player for it but am just confirming which one I need, I'm almost sure its the 74201 unit after trawling through all the ICE posts :)

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Sorry Cant help with that bit, but im sure someone will ;)
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

doogal44
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11

Post by doogal44 »

Think I have one.
I will check the part number later in the week if you like.
If it's what your after you can have it for postage costs if you like?

Topic author
Reebmit

Post by Reebmit »

Hi Aaron, that would be great if you have and greatly appeciated! I really do want to keep this car original, its only just touched 50,000 miles and this would at least enable me to play CDs... catch up in the week, thanks again :)

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

I have two of them but they are all long stuffed.

They had a whole pile of leaky electrolytic capacitors in them that needed replacement which I did but eventually they all just skip so I made an adapter and put in a standard Pioneer CD head unit but kept the OEM radio/tape player and all the factory amps and speakers, except the sub which the cone foam suspension was long gone so it got replaced by a 4 Ohm Polk Audio version which is better than stock. Its a very good stock system if its working like new.

The factory amp played up as well, they are now full of dry solder joints so they require a complete strip down and every joint resoldering, then they are good to go. Symptoms like a loud buzz and alternator noise or horrible noise as the electric aerial goes up, they loose an internal earth joint.

Waste of time putting one in other than just to look at or you wanted an all original car for a show or something.

MP3 has really just killed the CD player now, for $100 I fitted an Anycar link to the Subaru, just plugged into the factory stereo via the 6 stacker CD port and away you go. Even the single CD player in the Subaru was no good it skipped and its 2004.

Topic author
Reebmit

Post by Reebmit »

Thanks for the reply Carl, I think its like anything second hand, its always a gamble, Will see what turns up and give it a go.Everythjng else in the system works fine.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Reebmit wrote:Thanks for the reply Carl, I think its like anything second hand, its always a gamble, Will see what turns up and give it a go.Everythjng else in the system works fine.

Pretty sure there are commercially available adapters made now, I was one of the first to get an MR2 back in the 90's so I ended up making my own. The stereo is Fuji or Fujistsu or something so I rang them here and the guy was very helpful, he cut the plug off a stuffed CD player and I designed an interface to get the line in and control into the stock CD/Tuner head unit. About 20 capacitors needed replacement on the audio board of the factory CD player, putting one of these in is going to be a waste of your time.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”