Quieten gearbox noise - Rev 2 Turbo.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Shaleskin

Quieten gearbox noise - Rev 2 Turbo.

Post by Shaleskin »

Hello everyone!

I've recently been getting my 2 working again since I've taken it off the road and have replaced or fixed bits recently. After changing the gearbox oil since it was old and literally a little over 2 pints came out (not exact but rough idea), drained and topped up with the recommended oil on this site.

Since then all gears whine like a b*tch. I mean, it's really loud it can over power the engine noise between 1500rpm up to 3800rpm or so? More so in gears 3 - 5. I'm planning on getting a replacement gearbox likely late next year and get clutch done as well but would like to know if there's something I can add that someone has used to it to help quieten the whining down a little.

No sawdust or banana peel suggestions please! :laughing

Topic author
Pav677

Re: Quieten gearbox noise - Rev 2 Turbo.

Post by Pav677 »

I find the whining disappears when I leave the Mrs at home... Give that a go :D

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

Hahaha! Fantastic response but not quite what I'm looking for ;)

Topic author
Pav677

Post by Pav677 »

Sorry pal, I can't offer any help other than that lol.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I'd think the damage has been done. Replacement or rebuild time, I think.

Remember, that noise is a symptom of significant wear. Were the box to lock up or explode at 70mph you'd have almost no control of where the accident ended.

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

2 squirts of grease can help into the oil
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

MRturboTom wrote:2 squirts of grease can help into the oil
Would this thicken the oil or something? Speaking of which, is there a thicker oil or alternative like Redline mt90? I think people on here say helps with gear changes and what not do the trick?
fingers99 wrote:I'd think the damage has been done. Replacement or rebuild time, I think.

Remember, that noise is a symptom of significant wear. Were the box to lock up or explode at 70mph you'd have almost no control of where the accident ended.
Yes, very true. Definitely going to get a replacement unless repairing is a viable option. Was hoping for a way to dampen the whining to not be as bad for the next few months until I get it done.

Annoyingly it wasn't anywhere near as bad before I swapped over the oil and where I've got one bucket to collect all oils, I can't try and reuse with the new stuff :annoyed:

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Shaleskin wrote:
MRturboTom wrote:2 squirts of grease can help into the oil
Would this thicken the oil or something? Speaking of which, is there a thicker oil or alternative like Redline mt90? I think people on here say helps with gear changes and what not do the trick?
fingers99 wrote:I'd think the damage has been done. Replacement or rebuild time, I think.

Yes, very true. Definitely going to get a replacement unless repairing is a viable option. Was hoping for a way to dampen the whining to not be as bad for the next few months until I get it done.

Annoyingly it wasn't anywhere near as bad before I swapped over the oil and where I've got one bucket to collect all oils, I can't try and reuse with the new stuff :annoyed:
I put redline in mine and noticed a difference straight away - saying that mine was still pretty tight as it had only done about 70k miles. Remember a thread saying that comma gear oil was as good as redline and not quite so expensive - never heard of the grease application before - but think I understand how it could work. Which gear oil did you use?
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

peteV6R5 wrote: I put redline in mine and noticed a difference straight away - saying that mine was still pretty tight as it had only done about 70k miles. Remember a thread saying that comma gear oil was as good as redline and not quite so expensive - never heard of the grease application before - but think I understand how it could work. Which gear oil did you use?
I put in 75/90 gl4 castrol stuff from Halfords...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255220

^ That's the one. With this grease method is there a particular brand or type best used?

MRturboTom

Post by MRturboTom »

A bearing grease, or lithium iirc. Only need a tiny bit so I'd ask other locals for a bit possibly?

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

MRturboTom wrote:A bearing grease, or lithium iirc. Only need a tiny bit so I'd ask other locals for a bit possibly?
Alright, cheers for that. Will have a wonder to the locals this weekend. :th: Then have a look for a replacement box. Speaking of which, are the gear ratio's the same from rev 2 to rev 3+?

MRturboTom

Post by MRturboTom »

Shaleskin wrote:
MRturboTom wrote:A bearing grease, or lithium iirc. Only need a tiny bit so I'd ask other locals for a bit possibly?
Alright, cheers for that. Will have a wonder to the locals this weekend. :th: Then have a look for a replacement box. Speaking of which, are the gear ratio's the same from rev 2 to rev 3+?
I believe the e153 box is all the same just the diff differs between lsd and open.

Topic author
Shaleskin

Post by Shaleskin »

MRturboTom wrote:
Shaleskin wrote:
I believe the e153 box is all the same just the diff differs between lsd and open.
That's good to hear so will start looking about for one. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”