Veilside front bumper help please

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Allokazam

Veilside front bumper help please

Post by Allokazam »

Hi
This is my first post so apologies if I'm a little green.

I have searched the forums as best I can and cannot find anything helpful so here goes.

I have recently bought an old veilside front bumper and sideskirts. Both were damages but iv repaired them quite well and now wanting to fit them to my rev 1 G-limited import.

Problem 1:
What the heck do I do about my front indicators, side lights and fog lights as there are no places for them to go on this bumper. Are there any rules/regulations I can get around? For example I believe it is not a legal requirement to have front fog lights in UK?

Problem 2:
Lots of the studs that were on the bumper have either rusted beyond saving or been cut/broken out. What is the best way to repair/replace these?

Any and all advice welcome...apart from the obvious 'get rid of it and get something else'
as i have noticed a trend of dislike for the veilside front bumper :o

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Veilside front bumper help please

Post by vinp182 »

I used strips of those led's for side lights and a set of ford focus side repeaters for indicators on mine. I think most people use supra lights though

I used rivets and self tappers too as I had the same prob with bolts :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Allokazam

Post by Allokazam »

So basically there isn't a 'its done like this' its just personal preference for the lights?

Can you explain a bit more about your rivets and self tappers method please?

Topic author
Chris1

Post by Chris1 »

I had the same issue with snapped bolts. I know its a bit of a cop out, but I removed the bar that's riveted onto the bumper (the one that the bolts screw into) and took it to a local garage where they got the snapped bolts out and saved the threads. Think they burnt them out. Only charged me a tenner for it.
Then I just refitted everything with new M6 stainless bolts and washers.

Topic author
Allokazam

Post by Allokazam »

decided to drill out all the old bolts and put my own in.

Still need some advice on the lights though?

Topic author
sykesMr2

Post by sykesMr2 »

i would go for the after market led side repeaters for your front indicators as they are just stuck on and for the side lights have you not thought about using day time running lights as your side light (dont know if its legal or not)

Topic author
Allokazam

Post by Allokazam »

exactly what iv decided to do. LED indicators and LED side lights.
looked into it and technically daytime running lights aren't legal as side lights as they are generally far too bright (some have a option to dim them when you turn side lights on) but DRL's should switch off when you turn side lights on.
However i will just connect the LED lights to my previous side light connections. That will pass MOT and all cops can do is say their too bright get it sorted within 14 days in which case ill figure out how to dim them.

Topic author
Mr2karl_tbar

Post by Mr2karl_tbar »

I had a vs on my last 2 I bought some s13 indicators to go In as they fit nicely as over the supra indicators followed curves better.

If your interested you can have them

Another galaxy that contains no mortals

Topic author
Allokazam

Post by Allokazam »

thanks but iv gone all 'LED' with my lights. just got to figure out where to put them thats legal.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”