What size door speakers?

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chris83

What size door speakers?

Post by chris83 »

hi does anybody know size speakers fit into the doors of a uk mk2 mr2?

cheers chris

johnboysmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: What size door speakers?

Post by johnboysmr2 »

Speaking from experience I'd recommend 5.25" components, you might have difficulty putting in anything bigger depending on the depth of the speaker unit (might not go back flush to the door). Also, you might have to get a couple of convertors too to allow for the differing screw holes so you can mount them properly (only 3 holes in a tri pattern on the originals, most speakers will struggle to line up to them). Hope that helps mate.

Topic author
chris83

Post by chris83 »

cheers johnboy i'll go with the 5.25'' components then cheers for the help mate

looks like its time to order some speakers then soon mate

chris

danthevanman
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by danthevanman »

You can fit 6.5" speakers but you'd have to make wooden rings to fix them to the door and trail fit the door cards back on to get the right shape for the rings and trim a bit of plastic from the rear of the speaker grill on the door car.

Took me about 2 hrs to install mine, sorry don't have any pics on my laptop to show you,
Whilst I was in there I put a bit of sound deading on the outer door skin aswell, increased the mid bass quite well

Dan

Topic author
chris83

Post by chris83 »

cheers dan i was looking at 6.5'' components to put in the doors oh n what size are the speakers in the rear panel behind the seats?

Now need to see if my alpine type x 12'' sub fits behind the seats if it dont it will be going up 4sale to buy 2 slimmer 10'' subs as i like my bass low n loud n i know is a small cabin.

Cheers chris

Topic author
steph8million

Post by steph8million »

I just fitted an entire system sounds great. Two Alpine BBX F1200 Amplifiers (under seats). Channel 1 on each amp Alpine SPG 13CS (13cm) with tweeters in front doors, needed door modifications to fit. Channel 2 on each amp Alpine SPG 13CS (13CM) in B-pillar, went straight in needed drilling new holes only three fixing at present. Channel 3-4 bridged on each amp Was going to put 90W RMS Alpines in Sub boxes, opted for JL Audio (13cm) C2-525X. Probably will change the Sub coaxials for better (woofer type) speakers once I find some 130RMS 13cm, as have to turn channels 3-4 (Subs) right down to allow full clear volume from 6 speaker system. All are 4ohms. Hope that helps people who like a standard look in there motor

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

6.5" fit in the doors you just need wooden rings but then you do for 5.25" as well
As this 2 came in with 5.25s in
Problem here is the most important thing about speaker fitting is the seal around the speaker so the sound waves from the back cannot get to the front and cancel each other out
Here are my 6.5 rings
crossover positioning as the crossover doesn't want to be far from the woofer as the wire lengths will change the frequencies
You need to trim the back of the plastic behind the speaker grille as well. I cut the grille out for looks
I wouldn't bother with rear speakers they confuse the soundstage,
This site will help http://www.stephenmason.com/cars/mr2audio.html
More of my work http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/43/119564 ... y#p1244221
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/43/121670.html

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”