Where to find an original SW20 double-din cassette radio?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
joeredmr2

Where to find an original SW20 double-din cassette radio?

Post by joeredmr2 »

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the terrible aftermarket radio that came with my car with the original, or close to original double-din Toyota cassette radio. I've looked on eBay but few rarely come up and are in 'parts' condition or require a code.

Would anyone know where I could source one of these radios in working order? Thanks.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Where to find an original SW20 double-din cassette radio?

Post by jimi »

There were various head units fitted to the MK2, they were also fitted to other Toyota's of the period. There's a lot of variations, try ebay, Gumtree, FB Marketplace etc and put a wanted Ad in the Classifieds https://mr2oc.co.uk/classifieds/place-advert.html
Also check the various other UK MR2 forums & FB groups
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

All the original stuff is toast now and you would only put it in a "Display" car.

I had to fix the factory CD some 15 years ago but then it started skipping so made up an adapter to be able to fit a standard DIN replacement and pump it through the Radio/cassette into the factory amps and speaker and that the way it stayed until I sold it back in January.

The factory Amp needed to be resoldered and the factory Sub got replaced by a Polk Audio speaker. It sounded pretty good as far as I was concerned and it was hardly ever turned on anyway, I preferred to listen to the turbo.

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

I recall seeing one on Facebook marketplace recently. Can’t vouch for its condition as nothing to do with the seller. Some breakers may also have them (there was definitely one of EBay but you probably found that already).
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”